Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Questions about Avid Dock

In the Eucon Software can you now reorder or copy paste soft keys?

How the plugin control knobs works?

Can you assign each sknob to the Parameter of the Plugin you Like?
Or you have to go thru so many pages as in MC Control or Artist mix that was such a terrible/useless workflow?

Do you have that EQ Curve in the Screen??

are the knobs and fader very smooth and with great response?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Questions about Avid Dock

While waiting for answers, youtube has dozens of videos that will give you lots of great insight on the DOCK

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!!
Not sure. Don't think so. I think the people who are doing that edit the XML file directly. Would be a nice feature.

Quote:
How the plugin control knobs works?

Can you assign each sknob to the Parameter of the Plugin you Like?
Or you have to go thru so many pages as in MC Control or Artist mix that was such a terrible/useless workflow?
Thanks!!!
I haven't done any custom mapping (and I actually don't think it's possible). Each plug-in displays its parameters in pages in the center screen, and well-designed plug-ins put the most important parameters on the first page. Center screen shows four pages at a time, so you quickly develop a muscle-memory for reaching to a 2nd or 3rd-page parameter. It's faster than clicking around with your mouse and you don't have to wait for EuCon to refresh the Mac to get to your parameters. Swiping in the middle brings up the next set of four pages.

Quote:
Do you have that EQ Curve in the Screen??
No, and honestly it's not a feature I'm interested in. I use my ears. :)

Quote:
are the knobs and fader very smooth and with great response?
About a year ago with v3.5 or v3.6 (?) knob ballistics improved tremendously. They're fast and accurate now, with no overshoot and low lag. The fader was always good and hasn't changed.

One more thought: the following workflow really shines on the Dock because it's so fast:

-hit Preview button
-attention a track in Channel mode
-choose a plug-in via the insert page
-tweak with the side knobs and the fader
-hit Punch Preview
-play through and you're done

The dedicated Preview, Punch Preview, Suspend Preview and Auto Match buttons are under-appreciated on this surface. Move Sel and Mark In/Out make everything faster, too.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak7 View Post
I wish they work on this. It would be really helpful.

Also the feature that would make pro tools dock and control follow the opened/target plugin in pro tools. Any workaround?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Also the feature that would make pro tools dock and control follow the opened/target plugin in pro tools. Any workaround?
Don't touch the Mix window. Do everything (including opening plug-ins) from the Dock screen!

but seriously, I think the Dock plug-in selection is designed to be locked to the attentioned track, and right now Pro Tools doesn't select or attention a track if you click on one of the track's plug-ins. Interesting feature request though.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Don't touch the Mix window. Do everything (including opening plug-ins) from the Dock screen!

but seriously, I think the Dock plug-in selection is designed to be locked to the attentioned track, and right now Pro Tools doesn't select or attention a track if you click on one of the track's plug-ins. Interesting feature request though.

Check this out!
PLUG-IN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqwPMq_Kqo&t=9s

AUTOMATION:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XySQaE66A

BANKING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4WuQL8hQ5Y
Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
Yep.. I've see this for a long time. The fader movements on the Artist Mixes are not as smooth as they should be. The S3 is a better but... I had a Presonus Faderport that honestly wrote smoother automation passes. But, it obviously can't do as much as the Artist Mix or S3 which is why I eventually switched to Eucon surfaces.

Let's be reasonable for a second here.. in that video the automation passes in his demo are a bit more dramatic then typical.

so, while the Artist Mix may not be as smooth is it something that would really be a factor?

I don't miss the Faderport at all.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
Yep.. I've see this for a long time. The fader movements on the Artist Mixes are not as smooth as they should be. The S3 is a better but... I had a Presonus Faderport that honestly wrote smoother automation passes. But, it obviously can't do as much as the Artist Mix or S3 which is why I eventually switched to Eucon surfaces.

Let's be reasonable for a second here.. in that video the automation passes in his demo are a bit more dramatic then typical.

so, while the Artist Mix may not be as smooth is it something that would really be a factor?

I don't miss the Faderport at all.
My point was about the 1st video, regarding attention on plugins. That's what you guys were talking about. I added the other 2 to show the OTHER differences between the "old" and supposedly "new." I don't understand why, if they already had this kid of feature, they wouldn't include it in their "new & IMPROVED" Eucon feature.

I have never understood why any manufacturer would drop a great feature to add a different great feature. The entire concept of forums, surveys & market research is to see what the users want and NEED! Why should you have to choose between feature sets from the same manufacturer?

If all 3 of those areas were superior in the Command 8/D-Command/ICON they should have migrated into the Eucon feature set. THAT, to me anyway, would be truly IMPROVED.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
and right now Pro Tools doesn't select or attention a track if you click on one of the track's plug-ins. Interesting feature request though.
Yes....this ;-)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak7 View Post

Being able to copy/paste soft keys from one slot to another would be a HUGE time saver. =)