Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Buying my first soft sampler

I'm in the market for my first real soft sampler. I've read some threads around here about software stability with pro tools 7, but I'm just trying to get an overall sense on the best one to get.

1) Mach Five
2) Kontakt
3) Sampletank
4) Gigastudio (but I would have to buy a PC, so it has to be extra great)
5) Reason NNXT/NN19

I'm curious as to your thoughts on sound quality, stability, and ease of use. Stability is a big one. It seems that Kontakt has a larger sound library than, say, Sampletank, but I don't know if that really means anything. Since you can purchase expansion packs for most of these products, the quality of those would be a consideration too. I know I can demo most of these, but I'm looking for what the industry consensus on the subject is. As I sort of mentioned above, I'm running Pro tools 7.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Buying my first soft sampler

Evaluate HOW you will use the sampler.

1. will you buy ready-made sample libraries Which libraries? What format do the libraries come in? Is there a samplerformat that the library works best in? (some libraries are programmed specifically for GS3, etc...)

2. do you need conversion from one format to another? not all import or convert all formats. All convert AKAI -- but not all convert EXS, etc...

There is something to be said for an external GS3 machine. but, I also own Mach5 and Kontak2. Each has its strengths. I use each when most appropriate, and I am VERY happy with all 3. I guess that's why I don't hate any of them, since I am not asking any one of them to do it all.

I would work backwards... analyze your needs first, then find the player for the samples you will use.

DON'T buy a sample player for the library... none of the bundle library is worth compromising your sample player for... pick the player that will best play/convert your library.

FINALLY -- now is a good time to analyze your RAM -- you probably need more if you are going to go the software sampler route.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 AM

Reason sounds great, very stable, multi-channel rewires to PT, mature software, full-rack of virtual synths/efx/more in addition to the NNXT sampler, lots of 3rd party samples, relatively easy on the CPU... That's been my experience with it.
Click for demo
Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Get a external PC and run gigasampler. The mac/rtas stuff is good if you need to grab a couple of sounds but giga is for serious work.

rw
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Get a external PC and run gigasampler. The mac/rtas stuff is good if you need to grab a couple of sounds but giga is for serious work.

rw
I second this advice, Giga is a serious sampler that will not bug-down your Protools.
Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:47 PM

I like Mach5. It is easy to use. I loaded my whole colection from my EMU EIV. Works great.