Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Default Audio Hard Drive fails when PT launches!

Hello,

apologies for posting a second problem in just a few days. Possibly just my 3rd overall in the eight year sof using pro tools, so i should maybe consider myself lucky.

I just had my pc fixed/reformatted, and managed to get a day's use of PT. Today though, every time I opened it, my audio hard drive failed! It's completely usable up to the point PT starts, then it's unusable on or off PT. I restart and it's working fine again til using pro tools. I am extremely confused. It's the same system I had before it failed on me last week, so nothing new has been added. Plus I did get one day's use, so it doesn't appear to be an usolvable intrinsic problem, right?

I should possibly add that the sata cables were loose when i got the pc back, but i still don't know if that's relevant since i can use the drive in non-PT needs (plus the operating system drive is fine). But maybe PT use may put more pressure than just listening to music from the drive thus pushing a potentially loose cable?

The errors displayed have been three: delayed write e (PT drive):/m$t (as a windowns alert), DAE 9060 and disk failed! the symptom is always the same)

I use 6.4cs9, on XP, Athlon 3200, 1GB ram. not running antivirus or anything else, but again let me stress that i had a problem free system for years, so it must possibly relate to the pc repair (which still has the paradox of working fine for a day afterwards)

Sorry for the long mail:)

Once again would be grateful for some help, 10 days of of PT celibacy has been arduous enough:)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Audio Hard Drive fails when PT launches!

Update: it all works fine if i run it all from my C drive (operating sys). Music Drive still works perfectly fine outside pro tools, so I don't know if this new info makes the solution to the problem easier ?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Update: it all works fine if i run it all from my C drive (operating sys). Music Drive still works perfectly fine outside pro tools, so I don't know if this new info makes the solution to the problem easier ?
This sounds like a faulty drive. I've experienced this problem myself. The drive "appeared" to work with everything, but when it came to streaming audio, it didn't. It was replaced under warranty and indeed confirmed by the manufacturer that it was faulty. Replacing your audio drive is something you might have to consider.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 AM

Thanks for your response Shan. The drive itself is fairly new at 7-8 months, but you never know. Do you think though that it makes sense that I can play files from that drive through windows media player?

And do you think these symptoms could have anything to do with the cable, especially given that it was loose when i received it? Either way I assume the problem arose during transit/repairs and has either damaged the cable or the hard drive- i can't see how any pro tools or compatibility related issues would only go for drive c and not e (but i'm far from an expert)
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your response Shan. The drive itself is fairly new at 7-8 months, but you never know. Do you think though that it makes sense that I can play files from that drive through windows media player?
Yes. I have experienced this myself first hand with a brand new drive a few years back. If it's still under warranty, I would get it checked out.

Quote:
And do you think these symptoms could have anything to do with the cable, especially given that it was loose when i received it? Either way I assume the problem arose during transit/repairs and has either damaged the cable or the hard drive- i can't see how any pro tools or compatibility related issues would only go for drive c and not e (but i'm far from an expert)
It could be the cable which is something not to rule out, but as you have discovered, Media player can play audio files on that drive. Your own trouble shooting steps seem to be pointing at the hard drive itself.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 AM

Also try a different SATA port on the motherboard.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-31-2010, 02:30 AM

Thank you both. I will try switching sata ports on the MB, I only have two, so if windows doesnt load at all it should confirm its the port.

>>>It could be the cable which is something not to rule out, but as you have discovered, Media player can play audio files on that drive. Your own trouble shooting steps seem to be pointing at the hard drive itself.

But if it is the drive, shouldnt the media player be unable to play music off it? It's a holiday here today so I can't take the system back, you're stuck with my questions:) I'll update soon, its been a long night trying to get this sorted, so I'm off to my bed for now. Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:

>>>It could be the cable which is something not to rule out, but as you have discovered, Media player can play audio files on that drive. Your own trouble shooting steps seem to be pointing at the hard drive itself.

But if it is the drive, shouldnt the media player be unable to play music off it? It's a holiday here today so I can't take the system back, you're stuck with my questions:) I'll update soon, its been a long night trying to get this sorted, so I'm off to my bed for now. Thanks again!
Unfortunately, no. Pro Tools operates completely different under the hood. I've experienced this same issue with a faulty drive. Even other audio apps worked except PT. After the drive was sent back and replaced, it was indeed confirmed faulty by the manufacturer. I wouldn't rule out a faulty drive. Try the second SATA port first and another cable.

Shane