Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Default DINR launches, but doesn\'t do anything to the audio??

Alright, so the only noise reduction plug in I have on my computer is DINR. It launches just fine as an audiosuite plug in, everything looks visually correct, but no matter what I do to it, it doesn't affect the audio AT ALL. Why would it behave like this??
Old 07-19-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: DINR launches, but doesn\'t do anything to the audio??

Could you explain in a little more detail what you have tried?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 PM

If I try to use it as an Audiosuite Plug In, it just simply does not affect the audio AT ALL. I have the Use In Playlist button checked in the upper right hand corner, as I have heard that being un checked can cause the symptoms i'm describing. It acts & functions as if it's manipulating the audio, but it still sounds exactly the same.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM

Ok just to make sure DINR is functioning try processing a section of dialogue or a voice or something like so:
1. Select (highlight) a section of your audio that contains only the noise you want to try and get rid of.

2. Click learn. This will produce a waveform in the viewer

3. Click the fit button.

4. Use the arrow buttons (at the bottom of the viewer) to move the red line that was produced with the "fit" command up or down. This controls at what level the noise reduction takes place relative to the level of your audio input at various frequencies. (experiment with the red graph to maximize your results)

5. Slide the noise reduction slider all the way to the left, the attack slider and the release slider all the way to the left as well. (This is maximum noise reduction and will result in a lot of digital artifacts, the true balance of where you should set these sliders depends on the audio you are using and how much noise you want to reduce while introducing the least amount of artifacts (unless of course that's the sounds you're going for)) So realistically you should really experiment with these sliders.

6. Select the entire section of audio you want to process.

7. Click process (or whatever the button is called - i don't have it open in front of me)

Following these steps should produce a very audible result. That way you should know if your plug-in is working or not.

Noise Reduction is an art and I'm just starting to use it as a powerful tool when I can't re-record dialogue. There are better NR plugs out there but since DINR came with DV Toolkit it's the one I use. Maybe if following these steps don't work I could send you saved settings that you can try.

Let me know how it turns out.