Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Random Pre-roll activation

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if it catches fire. This is a bug that's been around for many years now.

Pre-roll will randomly activate out of nowhere, with some wild value like five minutes. It happens just once in a while, usually in the middle of rigorous editing.

I'm talking different systems on different computers in different locations over ten years' time.

Maybe fixed in 8? Well I can hope.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Random Pre-roll activation

It´s probably just the shortcut you are hitting randomly.

Preroll on/off is apple-K.

frank.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM

I haven't seen this..

Could be an inadvertent option-click with the selector tool?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
It´s probably just the shortcut you are hitting randomly.

Preroll on/off is apple-K.

frank.
No it is not. I use that command deliberately. This happens completely at random, with utterly random values, and has been happening for ten years.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 AM

I'd just like to confirm that it happens to me, too. It's not the accidental hitting of Command-K, but it just pops up, and sometimes it has a very high value that jumps you to the beginning of a session. I'm ProTools 7.4.2 on 10.5.5, but it's happened in past version, too.

EDIT - I just did a little testing, and its true if you option click with the selector tool before where you're parked it turns on the Pre-Roll, and if you do it after where you're parked it turns on the post-roll. In other words: it's not a bug, its a feature.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:12 AM

while we are mentioning command K

i thought i drop the keystroke reminder that "option K"

throws your record track input ON INPUT

really cool technique when recording a singer (or other instrument) that needs to hear themselves to get their pitch a little better during tracking.

really helps to move fast and on the job instead of mere mousing.

i mention this because i had not used it for a while for some reason and had a singer that a really needed it and this really quickly became and oldie but goodie for me.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
I'd just like to confirm that it happens to me, too. It's not the accidental hitting of Command-K, but it just pops up, and sometimes it has a very high value that jumps you to the beginning of a session. I'm ProTools 7.4.2 on 10.5.5, but it's happened in past version, too.

EDIT - I just did a little testing, and its true if you option click with the selector tool before where you're parked it turns on the Pre-Roll, and if you do it after where you're parked it turns on the post-roll. In other words: it's not a bug, its a feature.
Very nice - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
while we are mentioning command K

i thought i drop the keystroke reminder that "option K"

throws your record track input ON INPUT

really cool technique when recording a singer (or other instrument) that needs to hear themselves to get their pitch a little better during tracking.
Thanks for that!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDNYC View Post
THAT is cool!! very handy!

cheers,
rich
Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 AM

Me too! Same weird behavior for years. And still here in 7.4.2! Since I'm always tracking when I do it, things are too busy to even think too much about it. I imagine that's why I never remember to mention it on the DUC. So What's up with this?
Old 11-16-2022, 05:09 AM

Wow! Old thread turned up on my google search!

Is there a way to disable this? I apparently misclick at least once every thirty minutes, and enable pre roll. I guess because I don't let go of alt while using it for some shortcut.