Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-16-2022, 06:39 AM

Default Pro Tools Won't Record Cymbals From Roland TD-27

I just purchased Pro Tools and am new to the software. Plugged USB cable from TD-27 module into computer. All drums and HH will record on separate tracks but when selecting any of the cymbals as input, there is no signal being sent to the track.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Won't Record Cymbals From Roland TD-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppallew View Post
I just purchased Pro Tools and am new to the software. Plugged USB cable from TD-27 module into computer. All drums and HH will record on separate tracks but when selecting any of the cymbals as input, there is no signal being sent to the track.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.
Please provide your system info and Pro Tools version (Artist, Studio, Flex)
Old 11-16-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Please provide your system info and Pro Tools version (Artist, Studio, Flex)
Also; you have only USB connection between TD27 and computer? Then the module is only sending MIDI and not audio, right? If you are hearing sounds, then you must have the midi going to a track with a drum plugin where the sounds are triggered by TD27. And the cymbals not being triggered might be a midi mapping problem.
(Its2Loud; This is the PT12 section, so we're on old PT here.)
Old 11-16-2022, 10:23 AM

Windows 11 machine 64gb memory, Pro Tools Artist v2022.10.0, TD-27 interface.
Only using USB from td-27 to computer, not sure that's MIDI. Hardware and I/O show TD27 and I/O inputs list all drums and cymbals. However, when a cymbal is selected, even though I hear it through the speakers, it will not record. No levels show on track.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Only using USB from td-27 to computer, not sure that's MIDI. Hardware and I/O show TD27 and I/O inputs list all drums and cymbals. However, when a cymbal is selected, even though I hear it through the speakers, it will not record. No levels show on track.
OK. Your on the latest version of PT Artist, so maybe a moderator could move this thread to the "Pro Tools" section of the forum.

You need to get some basics straight about using a DAW like PT and gear like TD27 midi drums.
When pairing those two, the idea is that PT recieves midi signal for every hit on the drums. You can then insert a plugin with drum samples (EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, etc) and the sounds will come out of your selected PT output which is usually a dedicated interface.

The sounds triggered in the TD27 that comes out of the headphones and jacks on the TD are extra. Useful when not going thru a DAW, like a live performance.

It sounds like you have selected the TD27 as your audio interface in the PT playback engine (setup menu), this is not the way to do it. You need a audio interface.

That's what I have for now.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The TD-27 can be used as an audio interface to record the drums into Pro Tools. The USB port is not just for Midi.

Here's a good starter link to follow. There are a few different settings you need check on the TD-27 as well making sure you have the proper driver installed for Windows.

https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how-t...-td-27-v-drums

is you post a picture of your I/O settings from Pro Tools it would be helpful to see if you have the inputs and outputs configured correctly for what you're trying to do.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Ben, the TD-27 is an audio interface. What doesn't make sense to me is that I can record audio multi-track for every drum and HH except the cymbals. This all works in Adobe Audition but I wanted to move to a more industry standard DAW. I would love to upload some photos of my setup, I'm just not sure how.

If anyone out there is successfully recording multi-track audio from the TD-27, please post your settings(td and PT). If you can add some pics that would be great.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 11-17-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Ben, the TD-27 is an audio interface. What doesn't make sense to me is that I can record audio multi-track for every drum and HH except the cymbals. This all works in Adobe Audition but I wanted to move to a more industry standard DAW. I would love to upload some photos of my setup, I'm just not sure how.

If anyone out there is successfully recording multi-track audio from the TD-27, please post your settings(td and PT). If you can add some pics that would be great.

Thanks Everyone!
This most likely has to do with either your input configuration or the inputs you’re selecting for the cymbals on the track. Or both.

We really can’t help you without seeing your I/O setup.

Just because you can record in Audition doesn’t mean you’ll be as successful in Pro Tools. The setups are different for each.

A best guess start would be to delete all the inputs you see in the IO setup and then click default and have Pro Tools populate the inputs according to the TD-27.

Since Pro Tools Artist only allows 16 simultaneous inputs, you’ll need to make sure the cymbals aren’t falling on inputs higher than 16. Which according to the output config of the TD-27, they are. The Crash and Ride are on channels 17-22. Pro Tools Artist will not record more than 16 channels simultaneously or any channels that are higher than 16. This is most likely going to be the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG image.jpg (36.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by its2loud; 11-17-2022 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Thank you, its2loud! This is the answer: Pro Tools Artist will not record more than 16 channels simultaneously or any channels that are higher than 16.. Avid does not make this clear!! The specs say, records up to 16 tracks simultaneously. To me, that's 16 tracks in the editor, NOT channel numbers!
Old 11-21-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you, its2loud! This is the answer: Pro Tools Artist will not record more than 16 channels simultaneously or any channels that are higher than 16.. Avid does not make this clear!! The specs say, records up to 16 tracks simultaneously. To me, that's 16 tracks in the editor, NOT channel numbers!
it is unfortunate, but I think you can rearrange the USB output configuration in the TD-27 to assign the cymbals to any of the 1-16 outs.

"You can specify the output destination of the USB audio that is output from the TD-27’s USB COMPUTER port. The USB audio output can be recorded as 28 tracks on DAW software etc. on your computer."