Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 06:08 PM

Default How to monitor Mac line out

In the past I've routed audio from Chrome, Spotify, etc. from the line out in mac system prefs. I have a 1/8" cable that goes from the line out to the 3/4 input on my HD I/O. Then I bring it up on an aux in PT.

Since this last PT update this no longer works for me. No audio shows coming into the interface. When I exit PT I see it come up but can't even figure out how to hear it then.

I've been in audio/midi setup and am confused by the numerous Bridge options.

I'd like to be able to listen to Mac audio while running PT and not as I could before.

If someone would be so kind as to explain how to get this working again I would be grateful. :)
Old 10-14-2022, 06:46 PM

Default Re: How to monitor Mac line out

Nothing has changed that should have stopped what you were doing from working. You need to debug stuff. Is the line output sending output? Are the software apps/system configured to use the correct outputs? Is the HD I/O input working? What inputs are working? Basic stuff that should be quick for you to work out.

If you want to use Audio Bridge to soft route audio instead of going out to the physical connections there is a lot of documentation in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. If that's not working for you you need to describe you setup, what exact instructions you are following, what's not woking as expected and what troubleshooting you have tried.

And be super clear on what you describe, e.g. we cannot guess what your "last update" was. You went from Pro Tools 9HD to 2022.9 Ultimate? Did you upgrade the OS? Anything else? You need to provide clear information, read "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. Also there is standard troubleshooting, esp. if things are just not working in Pro Tools you should always be trying to trash prefs as a first step, before posting here.

Where is any of the basic expected information? Exact MacOS version? Mac model/config? etc.
Old 10-14-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nothing has changed that should have stopped what you were doing from working. You need to debug stuff. Is the line output sending output? Is the HD I/O input working? Basic stuff that should be quick for you to work out.

The HD I/O is working for normal session use. I'm getting input from the line out routed in to 3/4 only when PT is closed.

If you want to use Audio Bridge to soft route audio instead of going out to the physical connections there is a lot of documentation in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. If that's not working for you you need to describe you setup, what exact instructions you are following, what's not woking as expected and what troubleshooting you have tried.

Not looking to soft route anything.

And be super clear on what you describe, we cannot guess what your "last update" was. You went from Pro Tools 9HD to 2022.9 Ultimate? Did you upgrade the OS? Anything else? You need to provide clear information, read "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page. Also there is standard troubleshooting, esp. if things are just not working in Pro Tools you should always be trying to trash prefs as a first step.

I went from the last version right before 2022.9 - 2022. 6,7 or 8. wherever it was.

Where is any of the basic expected information? MacOS version?

Mac model/config? etc.
See answers above.

Late 2013 Trashcan - 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 , 48 gigs of memory.

Haven't trashed prefs yet. Trying to avoid that if possible. What else could it be?

I haven't changed any settings. Just updated PT.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:15 PM

OK again, there is nothing here that should have changed to cause this. Nobody can guess what the problem is. You need to troubleshoot. Follow the signal. You got output out the line out? Inputs working? All the HD interfaces showing up in Pro Tools? If not does the system pass Digitest? Audio cables OK etc. Much stuff covered in standard troubleshooting steps.

If Pro Tools is a suspect, you *have* to trash prefs to troubleshoot. Pete Gate's PT Prefs utility lets you do this easy and restore previous settings if needed.

One thing that did change is you got a bunch of extra "Audio Bridge" devices appear in the system... which some apps might be trying to use as outputs rather than the line out. So again, go check/troubleshoot what is going on with those apps and if they are outputting to what you expect.

And if you can't make any progress then try running the old version, you can have both installed (but that won't remove the Audio Bridge devices, if that's confusing your other audio apps, but that's one of the easiest things to check here).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-14-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
OK again, there is nothing here that should have changed to cause this. Nobody can guess what the problem is. You need to troubleshoot. Follow the signal. You got output out the line out? Inputs working? All the HD interfaces showing up in Pro Tools? If not does the system pass Digitest? Audio cables OK etc. Much stuff covered in standard troubleshooting steps.

If Pro Tools is a suspect, you *have* to trash prefs to troubleshoot. Pete Gate's PT Prefs utility lets you do this easy and restore previous settings if needed.

One thing that did change is you got a bunch of extra "Audio Bridge" devices appear in the system... which some apps might be trying to use as outputs rather than the line out. So again, go check/troubleshoot what is going on with those apps and if they are outputting to what you expect.

And if you can't make any progress then try running the old version, you can have both installed (but that won't remove the Audio Bridge devices, if that's confusing your other audio apps, but that's one of the easiest things to check here).
I have troubleshooted. That is why I am asking here.

I clearly stated in both my posts what was going on with the signal routing.

I was asking this question because I thought others may have already been through this since installing the latest version with all the new routing stuff. Apparently not.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:57 PM

"no audio shows coming into the interface" does not tell anybody if you have checked outputs are working or if you have tested inputs with another source etc. Run Digitest or done diddly squat.

This is a beyond stupid conversation. Sort it out yourself.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
"no audio shows coming into the interface" does not tell anybody if you have checked outputs are working or if you have tested inputs with another source etc. Run Digitest or done diddly squat.

This is a beyond stupid conversation. Sort it out yourself.

You obviously didn't read my answers to your quoted questions. Can't help you help me if you don't read what I wrote.

For somebody with such a short fuse you might want to consider doing something besides giving free tech support. I've been on the internet a long time and you come off as one the angriest people I've ever encountered. For everyone's sake I suggest doing something else with your time.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhouse View Post
You obviously didn't read my answers to your quoted questions. Can't help you help me if you don't read what I wrote.

For somebody with such a short fuse you might want to consider doing something besides giving free tech support. I've been on the internet a long time and you come off as one the angriest people I've ever encountered. For everyone's sake I suggest doing something else with your time.
We need to know what version of Pro Tools you came from to determine if you did an HDX firmware update or not.

The newest versions of Pro Tools uses the Hybrid Engine. It’s not clear if you are using hybrid

Re:Aux IO. There are some great tutorials from Avid on how to implement the Aux IO on your system. You’ll need to wrap your brain around the new IO Setup panel with the Aux IO button.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhouse View Post

OK fair cop. Sorry I did totally miss "The HD I/O is working for normal session use. I'm getting input from the line out routed in to 3/4 only when PT is closed.".

My fault, but when you quote a reply can you please put your replies outside the other person's quote. That's not how it's supposed to work and makes stuff hard to read. Look at any other posts on DUC. You can just insert your own extra [/QUOTE] and [QUOTE] tags to break up the quote and put your replies between them.

Great so you excluded all the output questions, and any hard caused by having the extra Audio Bridge CoreAudio outputs present.

So the problem is troubleshooting inputs on HD IO from inside Pro Tools.

You should be trashing prefs before doing anything else. Again use PT Pref's to make it easy/let you roll back.

Look at all your I/O input settings, make sure they look right, try defaulting the input even if it looks OK, maybe post the input page screenshot here if not sure if something looks weird.

You can click on the "Aux IO" button if you want... and make sure no inputs or outputs are checked since you don't want to use them. This stuff is a change, but again by itself should not break what you were doing before.

And as Its2loud already got to.. are you using hybrid engine? (Potentially scary) firmware upgrade question. etc. -- folks have been having firmware upgrade issues, but I would be very surprised if anything there could cause inputs not to work in Pro Tools but to work in CoreAudio.

And you have one HD I/O and that's the only Digilink interface on your three HDX cards?
Old 10-14-2022, 08:52 PM

I just realized you said the inputs work from CoreAudio... is there any chance you still have an app or macOS that is using the AvidAudioServer as input. I'm not entirely sure of all the failure modes if that's tried, but it's sure not supported concurrently with Pro Tools using the interface.

Not that it's necessary but you can be totally sure this can't happen by renaming /Applications/Avid/AvidAudioServer/AvidAudioServer.app to anything else, and rebooting.