Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Red face Re: Profile with Yamaha M7CL

Haha. Wow! I typed that post during a break this morning. Doesn't really make any sense does it. Needed more caffeine I guess.

What I meant to say:

Yes - I agree - dedicated monitor console is ideal. If you can figure out the split with the MADI interface, seems like it would be the cheapest, easiest way to do it. If you have the personnel to pull off a dedicated monitor world and can do the MADI split or transformer split cheaply enough, that would be the best way to really focus on FOH.

If you don't have the personnel or funds to pull all that off, you could off the Yamaha, and do the Aviom or PQ.

Thats where I meant to go with that post, but there was a lot missing between "I'm with Jon" and what followed. I should really proof read before I hit "submit".

eric
Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Profile with Yamaha M7CL

I've worked in a ton of situations with only one console for both duties and it just flat sucks. You are always having to compromise somewhere even with aviom. I would go with the MADI plan. It looks like the yamaha would take three cards to make it work. If I'm not mistaken the yamaha card slots are only capable of supporting 16ch.'s each.

But even with the MADI plan wouldn't it just be easier and similar in cost to sell the yamaha and use a SC48 or another profile console for the purpose?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:13 PM

No problem Eric, I typed mine during our 3rd service. It's nice sitting in the back of the church.

Seth, interesting Idea selling the M7, I personally would try and get a matching console at both monitors and FoH, just to make training, and troubleshooting easier, but that is not always Ideal.

And Yes, I also believe the yamaha cards only do 16 channels each.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Yeah since this is for a church I would definitely recommend scrapping the M7 and just getting a matching profile control surface. I think they are under 20K and all guys that help out will greatly appreciate it. Plus you will be able to get it sounding absolutely killer on stage (not that you couldn't with the M7, it's just there are some really great plugs for the Digi). And in my experience, a happy band with a great sounding stage makes for a great FOH mix!

I also wanted to mention you don't always have to have someone in monitor land. you can plug either console into a computer and control it wirelessly from anywhere in the house with a phone, tablet, ipad, laptop, another computer, whatever. I've been doing that for years and it works great. Plus it's much easier to get a great monitor mix when you can stand right where the performer is and dial it in.

Congratulations on the new console. You're gonna love it! I have a 3 day gig starting tomorrow night using an M7. Sure do wish they would of spec'd a Digi though! Maybe I can convince them of doing the swap
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM

For my .001 I have found personal monitor mixers beat monitor consoles every time based on two things: (1) The need to accept the new technology. (2) Time to understand the new technology.

Of the bands I work with - once the users understand how to use it - which can vary quite a bit - they have no interest in going back and are addicted to it. (I shouldn't say it but even the female vocalists figured out how to use Avioms after 4 months of repeating the same instruction steps... and now love it.)

In a church setting there is probably a bit more control over the "need" to accept the new technology so that can take care of (1), and since the users are sort of a smaller pool of recurring users, you have a good opportunity to train them that lends itself to (2). I'd get Avioms and PQ's - get rid of the Yam - and tell them it's a new world and it's awesome.

The split console concept has been a tremendous boost to user acceptance too as I am able to tailor sounds on the fly exactly as the user needs.

On the other hand - the only ones who seem reluctant are ** generally ** those who are in a position to just strong arm the concept, have no interest in understanding or learning about it, and freak out and think they are being downgraded to coach from first class. They just don't get it and wont.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 AM

I would almost always agree with you, except that the M7CL has got to be the quickest monitor console ever - very very usable for those duties. The Profile is great, but not nearly as simple in the hands of volunteers.

Definately get a split, but save your money and get a parallel one since the likelihood of earthing problems is minimal if your stage rack and mons console are in the same location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Dog View Post
No problem Eric, I typed mine during our 3rd service. It's nice sitting in the back of the church.

Seth, interesting Idea selling the M7, I personally would try and get a matching console at both monitors and FoH, just to make training, and troubleshooting easier, but that is not always Ideal.

And Yes, I also believe the yamaha cards only do 16 channels each.