Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Where does rap come from?

IMHO.

its almost funny when people bash rap/hiphop. of course, from those of us that are in the culture, its almost understandable that ignorance will prevail about such a complex culture like hiphop. for most parts, not all rappers come from broken homes, alcoholic parents, or the "ghetto" as most people think. not all rap music is danceable. all rappers dont run around saying "bling bling" and showing off diamond rings and gold teeth. not all rap is good.

in either case, music is music. good music or bad. do you actually think that rapping is something completely new? think about it. an artist writes lines that rhyme.. writes lines about something they feel adamant about or at least moved by.. writes what they think wound sound good. gee. sounds like all other types of lyrics out there, doesnt it? the only thing different? the musical half. heavy beats, lots of 4/4 stuff, grooves. a lot of the musical pieces are sampled, so youll find elements of all different types of genres, adapted to the beat.

it seems like all of us have some musical appreciation out there. take the time and listen before you judge something by how its portrayed.

peace.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

True, jgehring, but I'm assuming we're talking about the other 10% here... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hip-hop is really just an evolved, urban form of scat. I think a lot of the "G" style of violent rap is just a carry-over from when gangs would go at it w/ "2 turntables and a microphone" to solve disputes, instead of 2 pistols and a body bag. Kind of ironic that that came back around full-circle to violence again... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2003, 04:28 PM

I think Duke Ellington covered this a while ago when he said,

"There are two kinds of music, good music and bad music".

I write and record guitar based rock/folk/whatever but I've got a Public Enemy poster hanging over my 002, right next to my Tom Waits. The more I get into recording, the more I appreciate the production on those first PE records.

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 03-04-2003, 04:56 PM

[/QUOTE]Um. davey.com? Maybe if you're going for "organic" and "earthy" ... [/QB][/QUOTE]

I think he meant www.daveyd.com
It's a real interesting site with well written articles/comments.
Check it!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:47 PM

As a HIP-HOP / R&B / POP producer i can tell u that hip-hop production is basically put together the same way any other form of music is put together. U can use any program or "beat machine" , or keyboard u choose. what Hio-Hop is all about is the groove, how the record make u, the listner, feel. The Bass Drum, be it earth rattling or just Punchy is actually the most important part of hip-hop, because that is what moves the artist to write what ever he or she feels. and that is what makes the record move crowd. Once u understand the importance of that then it all makes sense. And it's the same for rap's closest cousin Rock (just as rebelious and violent-prove me wrong!) , if the drummer sucks then u are not going to even attempt to listen to the song or the band. but in a nutshell truly understanding the Bass Drum is what it's all about.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:25 PM

rap has been around for more than 20 years, and in that time it's spawned as many flavors as rock or jazz. rap productions range from the simple vocals-and-drum-machine sound of kurtis blow or sugarhill gang through the noise collages of public enemy to the low-riding '70s grooves of peak snoop dogg and dre to the rza's cinemascope tracks for wu-tang to puffy's pop jingles to the sparse, brutal, off-kilter sounds you hear on most of this year's radio rap hits.

most rap producers use one or more of the following: drum machines, samplers, turntables, sequencers. some use hardware; some use software; most use both. some use live instruments. (ever hear the roots or the coup?)

i'm not an expert. i've just heard enough hip-hop to know that asking 'how exactly is rap put together' is kind of like asking how pop music is put together.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:00 AM

i'm a total rock guy. play rock guitar, write and sing rock songs, produce rock records. admitedly, i have a broad definition of the word "rock", but nevertheless...

i'm also a big hip hop fan. i have lots of hip hop records sitting right next to my sting and U2 collections. it's an art form that amazes me, particularly free style rapping. as honed as my "rock" skills have become, there is no frickin' WAY i could do that. my point is that anyone bashing rap music for any reason sounds like a dork. you can say all the same things about rock. ( it all sounds the same,... their pain isn't real, it's just to sell records,... it doesn't take any real talent to create..... blah blah blah. )
any style of music has great artists and talentless posers.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:20 AM

Oh god that was a very wrong type on my part. Yes i did mean www.daveyd.com

BTW, Allen I see you know your Slim Shady very well.

Hip Hop will always be around. Just like Rock and Roll.

Don't forget guys. Just like there are diffrent kinds of rock. There are diffrent kinds of Hip Hop.

Wiz
Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 AM

90% of everything is crap.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:36 AM

Hip Hop IS Rock and Roll.
Its just that some of you guys are too old to get it, or too racist to listen.