How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Default EtherSound Support

Hey group!

I'm with the Air Force Reserve Band, and I got some questions. Currently, we are painted in a corner with a lot of proprietary Yamaha gear...which includes all Yamaha digital consoles and a Yamaha digital snake system (a royal pain in my side). I am wanting to move to the VENUE consoles, but I know the higher ups will not approve a large purchase if it is not interchangeable with our current systems. Although, we would be purchasing two Profile systems utilizing the new MADI option, I would still like to have some way of getting EtherSound into the stage rack as a selling point.

Does anyone know if Avid / any other partner is planning on making an EtherSound option card for the VENUE system? Or...Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a compatible MADI card for their consoles? Again, I seriously doubt we would every "use" the option, but I have to have a way of interfacing the two consoles as a selling point to the higher-ups who paid a lot of money for the PM5D consoles.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 AM

Default Re: EtherSound Support

Yamaha do have a madi solution, however it only handles 16 channels at a time, meaning you have to buy four cards (at the price on most other peoples single cards) to get your full compliment of 56/64 channels that others systems run.

EtherSound doesn't seem to be catching on. Almost all major manufacturers offer some sort of madi solution, EtherSound seems to be sitting on the periphery. IMHO for that reason alone I would be surprised if Venue went down that route. Although it is probably possible to find a way of getting madi converted to EtherSound, it's probably much easier to do things with madi. A lot of userful boxes available on the RME site.

Roland
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 AM

Ken,
While I can't say I'd recommend going this route, there is an ethersound to MADI converter box located here
http://www.innovason.com/products/ac...diomadies.html

Probably way more hassle than it's worth though...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Awesome guys. Thanks for the help. I did look at those Yamaha MADI cards...I am very not experienced when it comes to MADI...so forgive me, but how exactly would integrating MADI in a Yamaha console work with the VENUE system. Anyone had any luck with it?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Saw this at InfoComm last month:
http://www.klarkteknik.com/dn9650.php