Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 AM

Default Help with 96io Digital Out to another Soundcard?

I have a digi 96io running on my Mac with a optical digital cable to an Edirol Soundcard on a Parallels Windows partition on the same mac.

I have the Digi 96io running with Ableton and Logic fine and the Edirol on the Windows side running with Soundforge and Acid Pro

All I want to do is connect digitally between the 2?

In the digi preferences i use 5-6 as my digital outs and have the following:

OUTPUT - 5-6 (only get the option Digital [enc] all formats)

Clock source - Optical SPDIF

Digital Format : button ticked - optical s/pdif
Spdif Tascam (unticked)

All I get from the above is a flashing digital light on the 96io and it not working.

Previous to this, i used the Mac optical out > 96io Digital in and that worked fine.

It seems I have less options digitally 'out' of the 96io?

Can anyone help so i can record 'live' from the 96io to the edirol?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Avid

Default Re: Help with 96io Digital Out to another Soundcard?

You should set the clock source to 'internal' on your Pro Tools system and 'optical SPDIF' on the Edirol system.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 PM

So internal on the PT system (although its not PT strictly that Im using as Im using the 96io with other programs like Ableton etc)

Is this all done in the Digicore manager in the dock of my PT based Mac?

Not sure I have a "settings" section on my Edirol on the PC, but will check

Just to re-iterate I want the 96io Digitally 'out' and going 'into' the digital IN of the Edirol
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
So internal on the PT system (although its not PT strictly that Im using as Im using the 96io with other programs like Ableton etc)

Is this all done in the Digicore manager in the dock of my PT based Mac?

Not sure I have a "settings" section on my Edirol on the PC, but will check

Just to re-iterate I want the 96io Digitally 'out' and going 'into' the digital IN of the Edirol
Hi,

As DS said, the 96 must be the master and the clock set to internal.
the Edirol or the PC settings must have an option for external clock!
the digital light was flashing on the 96 because you had it set to external spdif clock.

if you are not running PT at the time then yes the coreaudio manager and the AMS is where you will set the clocking and frequencies and bit rates etc.

the frequencies must match between both mac and PC

make sure the optical cable is connected the correct way!! from the 96 OUT to the Edirol IN

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Ok. Thanks for the great tips as it can get confusing with in and outs on different digital setups!

However this still isn't working and even though I've tried all the combinations I think it must be parallels that's to blame?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM

Sounds like it has to do with the way Digi and Core Audio work. When you run Parallels, you're running under OSX, so everything's still in the same operating system regardless of what's going on under Parallels. So I don't think you can run the 96 I/O and the Edirol soundcard at the same time. I wonder if you could run your Parallels audio apps through Mac internal audio while the 96 I/O is operating. Have you tried that?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 AM

This would be the ideal situation of just using the onboard Digital in and out from the Mac under Parallels, but even though you can select it under parallels it doesn't seem to work? (even Parallels themselves say this doesnt work?)

All I need is a Digital out from the 96io (stereo optical spdif) into another "parallels only soundcard" so that I can record independently from mac to PC side (so I can manipulate sound in the PC domain and use some PC plug ins)

I have had the Edirol on at the same time as the 96io under Mac and Parallels so I dont think thats an issue?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
This would be the ideal situation of just using the onboard Digital in and out from the Mac under Parallels, but even though you can select it under parallels it doesn't seem to work? (even Parallels themselves say this doesnt work?)

All I need is a Digital out from the 96io (stereo optical spdif) into another "parallels only soundcard" so that I can record independently from mac to PC side (so I can manipulate sound in the PC domain and use some PC plug ins)

I have had the Edirol on at the same time as the 96io under Mac and Parallels so I dont think thats an issue?
I'm afraid there's not much more we can tell you there - I don't even know if Parallels will work properly for what you're trying to do. I've yet to see any real reports of it working for audio applications.

The principle here being that all devices in a digital configuration must be clocked to the same clock - in this case the 96. You could try reversing that - set the Edirol to internal the the 96 to clock to the Edirol, but you'd need to connect a digital cable between the Edirol output and the 96 input.

That connection will just carry clock - the audio from the 96 will go out to the Edirol on the other digital cable.