Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2008, 10:53 AM

Default Expansion Chassis Question

is it possible to use cards in the chassis and also not in the chassis? The issue is this. I currently have PCI-x core, accel and one process card.. I want to get a new Mac Pro so I would get the chassis with the PCIx slots and the PCIe host adapter.. but can I also use a PCIe accel card in the computer at the same time as using the cards in the chassis? or will I be stuck with only using the cards in the chassis?

thanks
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 06-15-2008, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Expansion Chassis Question

Quote:
is it possible to use cards in the chassis and also not in the chassis? The issue is this. I currently have PCI-x core, accel and one process card.. I want to get a new Mac Pro so I would get the chassis with the PCIx slots and the PCIe host adapter.. but can I also use a PCIe accel card in the computer at the same time as using the cards in the chassis? or will I be stuck with only using the cards in the chassis?

thanks
Hi,

All cards have to be in the chassis!

get a PCIx accel card or get as many HD process cards as you can fit in the chassis

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Expansion Chassis Question

Is there a major performance difference between using the PCIx accel in the chassis and the PCIe Accel directly in the computer?
Trying to figure out which will be a better choice when upgrading from my G5 to the mac pro..
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24