Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM

Default UAD cards to work with Pro Tools

Interesting. UA have announced that their UAD1 card will work within PT via the VST-RTAS adapter.

http://www.uaudio.com/news/releases/rtas.html

MUSIKMESSE • FRANKFURT, GERMANY—30 MARCH 2004—Universal Audio, a manufacturer of high-quality vintage audio hardware and DSP software plug-ins for digital audio workstations, today announced that the UAD-1 Project Pak and Studio Pak will include a special version of UK developer Fxpansion’s VST-RTAS Adapter, designed exclusively for Universal Audio to enable the UAD-1 DSP card to be used with Digidesign ProTools® 6 Systems.

“ The UAD-1 is already widely regarded as the ultimate upgrade for Native DAWS,” said Mike Barnes, Director Of Marketing for Universal Audio, Inc. “ Now, by including a special version of the Fxpansion RTAS Adapter with the Studio Pak and Project Pak, the UAD-1 DSP card and Powered Plug-Ins becomes accessible to the ProTools® platform and truly the ultimate upgrade for any DAW!”

The Fxpansion RTAS adapter allows Digidesign M-Box, 001, 002, Mix|24 or HD customers, on either Windows XP or Mac OS-X based machines using ProTools® 6 or above, to run Universal Audio’s award-winning plug-ins on a UAD-1 card installed in their computer. The UAD-1 plug-ins appear in the user’s RTAS plug-in menu. The special bundled version of Fxpansion’s RTAS Adapter will only adapt the UAD-1 plug-ins, but an upgrade to the full version of the Fxpansion VST-RTAS Adapter will be available from www.fxpansion.com. The UAD version of the Adapter will be available for download by registered UAD-1 Studio Pak and UAD-1 Project Pak users at my.uaudio.com by April 15th, 2004.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: UAD cards to work with Pro Tools

Hey El (nice reference to a fantastic Big Star tune!)

Thanks for the post. I've been waiting for proof that UAD1 will run successfully in PTLE. This means that I can now start the ball rolling and build a PC, buy 002 Rack + UAD1, etc.... actually, it means that my first home studio will very closely resemble the studio of my dreams. Woo Hoo!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:47 PM

There are pros and cons concerning the usage of a UAD card/plugins with the PT-LE version. PT 6.4 is introducing "delay comp", and this is not included in the LE version, so there will be latency issue's, which is also why I moved over to Logic from DP. Maybe Digi will include the fix in an upgraded LE version.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:20 PM

Hey there Imagine!

Thanks for the warning. Not quite sure what you're getting at...are you able to explain the potential problem in terms recognisable by a novice home studio/PTLE user??

Thanks and regards.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 AM

This might help explain better.

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/februa...nchor-G5-47857

Same thing is associated with the LE version, if it doesn't have built in delay compensation.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:51 AM

Well this is very interesting, considering a UAD-1 StudioPak is under 900 US $ and includes more than 20 plugins... Do you know how powerful (i.e. plugins count) is this card ? How about plugins quality ?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:32 AM

BTW, it appears to also work with TDM, though as RTAS plug-ins.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well this is very interesting, considering a UAD-1 StudioPak is under 900 US $ and includes more than 20 plugins... Do you know how powerful (i.e. plugins count) is this card ? How about plugins quality ?
depends on the plugins but around 10
Old 04-14-2004, 11:53 PM

I'm currently using the UAD with Logic, and the 1176, LA2A, Fairchild and Pultec are fantastic. I could live without the other plugins.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM

You mean a card will hold just 10 plugin instances ??? Mmmmmm...
Imagine is there a difference between LA-21, 1176. Pultec UAD-version and the same ProTools/TDM version ?