Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2001, 08:44 PM

Default QuickTime Streaming created with PT LE

QuickTime Pro 5.0.2 and ProTools LE 5.1.1 for creating Streaming QT Movies

Recently started using a DV camera, then capturing content (video & audio) as QuickTime movie. I've employed various methods using:
  1. <LI>iMove 2
    <LI>Final Cut Pro 1.2.5
    <LI>Hack TV - a 25K download from http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...me/Hack_TV.htm , try it, it's small and works, saving compression overheads.
The QT movie is imported into ProTools in 2 parts - video then the audio by Exporting Sound to AIFF. The latest project - a concert by Indian group Mrigya at the Edinburgh Fringe, also had a CD recording of the line outs of the PA desk. This was imported in the PT LE session and the QT audio and Live CD were lined up and mixed, compressed, a little reverb and a modicum of EQ to enhance.

I then bounced to QuickTime. In QuickTime I then delete the audio track of the movie and replace with the bounced audio. Although the Reference guide indicates this isn't necessary, it does seem to be. QuickTime Pro does have many features that are a little crazy to use, but do work.

I've not settled on the best audio compression and the superb QDesign demo has run out and too expensive for me right now. Tried Barbabatch too.

The completed QT movie (uncompressed) is then exported for Streaming. An 8 minute movie goes from 179MB to 25 MB, as it's streamed the only connection overhead is the upload to the website. The html has to have regard for both Internet Explorer and Netscape but the java routines available for identifying browsers help. A Click To Download QuickTime link from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download is advisable.

I've not been able to make the movie content suitable for Windows Media Player, any suggestions? Microsoft say that it will play QuickTime movies but I haven't tested this yet.

Next I want to try using Shockwave and Flash for movies but the size of QuickTime compared to the other authoring programs make it neat to use, particularly on an iBook or laptop, although I'm on a G4 in my studio, the SCSI chain just isn't up to video editing so I've had to look at smaller transfer width and filesize problems - hence QuickTime.

Does anyone else on DUC have experience to share making QT Streaming movies with PT LE?

New to digital video, so could do with advice. Thanks.
John Wesley Barker
Music Producer, Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
[email protected]

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: johnwesleybarker ]

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: johnwesleybarker ]