Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Default PT unable to communicate with HUI

I use a Mackie Control Universal (original MIDI model, not the more recent USB model) with my 002r. I keep getting the "unable to communicate with HUI" message and it drops the connection to the MCU. This started some time ago with the upgrade to 7.4. I had hoped moving to 8 and OSX 10.5.8 would get rid of it but it hasn't. I've done the usual troubleshooting steps; trashing prefs, databases, etc. It was infrequent at first, but the last few days has been pretty constant. The last change to my system would have been the move to PT8 some months ago. Here's what else I've tried to narrow down the problem without success:

• moved the midi connections off the 002r to a MAudio midi interface
• moved the midi connections to a MOTU Express 128
• changed all midi cables
• removed any midi related drivers or files from system and audio/midi setup utility that don't pertain to just PT and the MCU

Now..... I also have an old d24 system. The MCU works fine on it as does a PC running Samplitude. If I switch to a Mbox2, and attach the midi there, it again runs perfect. It also runs perfect on the other midi interfaces as long as the MBox2 is used. It would seem that somehow taking the 002r out of the loop solves the problem. How or what could be the cause of that? The audio runs fine; it's the midi that gets dropped even when the 002r is not serving as the midi connection. Firmware is current; all other components and software is current.

What haven't I thought of?

MacPro (8 core)
OSX 10.5.8
PT LE 8.01
MCU (firmware 2.12......as current as there is)
Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Re: PT unable to communicate with HUI

Is there a driver needed for the Mackie? Is that updated? Does it need midi and is that checked in the midi devices

Is the Mackie properly configured in the "Peripherals" area and does it show up in the HUI devices list?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
Is there a driver needed for the Mackie?
The driver is the HUI protocol installed with PT.

Quote:
Does it need midi and is that checked in the midi devices
see below

Quote:
Is the Mackie properly configured in the "Peripherals" area and does it show up in the HUI devices list?
The only setting midi or otherwise that relates to the MCU is designating which midi port it's in and out is connected to in the Peripherals menu. This is set correctly or it wouldn't even see it initially.

I've spent the day working from the MBox2 with no problems. I took a spare drive and installed a fresh version of OSX 10.5.8 and installed the bare minimum to make PT 8.01 run. Booted from that drive with the 002r connected and the MCU attached to it. Start PT, set MCU in peripherals. Faders snap to and it works. 10 seconds later the warning pops up. Power cycle the Mac, do the same again with the MCU attached to a midi interface instead of the 002r. drops after a few seconds. Power cycle the Mac, do the same again with the MBox2 and it works flawlessly.

So....I can work from the MBox in the meantime. But I really need to know why this is happening with the 002r connected.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 AM

Have you contacted Mackie about it?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Have you contacted Mackie about it?
By email. Discontinued product. They blame Digi. Thing is.......it works fine with everything except the 002r. All I have to do is be using the 002r for audio, not midi. It seems bizarre to me that the 002r could be causing (or at least enabling) the problem when it's not even handling the midi connections. Yet the Mbox2 works perfectly whether it's handling the midi or not.

Is there a way to force a firmware reset or update of the 002r? Ive seen those happen sometimes when updating to certain versions of PT. I don't remember one happening when I switched to PT 8 though.

I don't know........I'm stumped and thought maybe someone could suggest something I haven't tried.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 AM

I am having the same issue. First gen MCU, with 2 extenders (all on version 2.1.2), Motu midi express XT, 002 Rack, etc. It worked fine for me when i was on PT LE 7.4 and win XP 32 bit. I have recently upgraded to Win 7 32 bit and PT LE 8.01 and started getting the same message. It works for the first 7 seconds and then the message pops up.. Unable to communicate with HUI... I can then hit enter and it will work for another 7 seconds, which tells me its probably not getting that midi signal back? Have you fixed this or have any leads?