Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-1999, 05:34 AM

Default AV Hardware

Which Mac hardware is Audiovision compatible?
I presume 9600 Series. If so - any change in sight?
What is the latest OS Version?
Old 09-08-1999, 03:11 PM

Default Re: AV Hardware

AudioVision PCI is supported on both the Mac 9500 and 9600, no change in sight.

The latest supported Mac OS is 8.5.1. 8.0 and 8.1 are supported as well.

8.6 should be fine but I don't think any extensive testing has been done with it.

Jon
Old 09-10-1999, 01:59 AM

Thanx Jon,

A while ago there was a rumour about 9600/250-300 (I think Mach 5), which could cause problems. True?

And the other question which comes to mind: What about stock and/or spares?

One more questions. I´ve been working recently on a PCI AV for the first time. Finally no wait on autosaves - the only problem still is disk performance (16 Fades at once). I´m not a PT crack but I think you can run your audio files on an UW-SCSI bus. After the disk I/O structure is PT now, would it be possible for AV, too?
Old 09-14-1999, 03:36 PM

I'm not sure about Mach 5 or even what that means, but there was some question about the 9600/350. The 350's were never fully qualified but I believe some preliminary or summarized testing may have been done. Despite this, there are many 9600/350s in the field running AudioVision so there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as availability, they are definitely hard to come by these days and getting more dificult to find each day. You may want to talk to your local Digidesign dealer and/or Digidesign Sales Rep they will sometimes know of places to dig one up.

I'm not totally clear on your drive question but maybe this will answer it...

PCI AudioVision uses the Pro Tools III hardware for audio playback which consists of a Disk I/O card and a DSP farm. The Disk I/O has it's own narrow SCSI bus.

It is possible to use wide drives on the narrow bus for audio playback if you want to but it requires the proper adaptor to do it.

The proper adaptor should be included in the AV core kit. It is a cable, one foot or so in length, with a narrow connector on one end that attaches to the Disk I/O cable and a wide connector on the other end for wide drives.

SCSI ID's above 6 cannot be used on wide drives when connected to the AV narrow audio SCSI bus and all other normal SCSI rules apply (ID's, termination, etc.).

Also, if you are going to run wide drives on the audio SCSI bus you will probably want to make sure you are running Mt. Digi control panel version 1.4 (it can be downloaded here on the Digi website). The 1.4 version allows you to bump the scan time (at boot up) from 1000 ms to approx. 2500ms. You will need to do this if you have a wide drive(s) on the audio SCSI bus that are using SCSI ID's 0,1 or 2. Wide (and 10,000 spin drives?) drives require more time to be mounted by the narrow SCSI bus.

If the drives are not mounted at boot up, you can launch Mt. Digi and hit the "mount" button to mount them manually.

Probably more info that you wanted but I hope it answers your questions.

thanks,

Jon

By the way, I'll be at AES in New York in a week or so (I'll be wearing a disguise...and a false name tag), I'm looking forward to rapping with alot of you in person...