Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-21-2022, 06:21 AM

Default Pro Tools - recording Alesis Strike Pro SE kit with Superior Drummer 3

Seems I am getting frustrated beyond belief.

I have created an multi outs from SD3 - created an Instrument track, audio tracks, sent to aux tracks. I can record (testing), using samples from SD3 but I cannot get the kit to trigger in SD3 to Pro Tools. I am trying this through a USB cable, list of equipment below:

Pro Tools Ultimate
Zoom Livetrak L-20 interface
Window 10
Superior Drummer 3

There has to be an easy fix but I need some help on set-up, your help is appreciated.

(I want to stay with the USB cable but I do have multiple 1/4 to XLR cable handy)
Old 11-21-2022, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools - recording Alesis Strike Pro SE kit with Superior Drummer 3

Is the kit showing up under MIDI Input Devices in Pro Tools? Have you checked the MIDI I/O channels on the kit and under the Instrument options on the track in Pro Tools?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools - recording Alesis Strike Pro SE kit with Superior Drummer 3

AFAIK, Windows needs to have any midi controller(E-kit or keyboard) configured in Pro Tools before it will work. In PT, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and create a new "instrument". Name it as you like. The options for brand and model are not required. What is required is the input path and that would look something like "Alesis Strike on USB[Emulated]"(that menu item will likely only have the correct choice available so select that). The Midi channels(1 thru 16) can be all left on(in blue) if the Alesis kit is the only controller you have, but traditionally, midi channel 10 is default for percussion. The output path can be left as none, unless you need to send midi back to the kit(not required unless you wish to use the on-board Alesis sounds).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-12-2022, 05:06 AM

I have set up the midi in Pro Tools (created an instrument), as instructed, see captured image. The Midi Input Devices is showing "Alesis" as well and still nothing.

I'm not sure how to "check the MIDI I/O channels on the kit" but I have checked "Utility, Omni - Midi Through, Enabled". Not sure what you mean regarding "Instrument options on the track in Pro Tools". I have created an instrument track and inserted SD3.

Should I be doing anything in Peripherals, Midi Controllers?

Recently updated the module successfully, so I know the midi cable is functioning properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4731.jpg (39.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Ronniedawg; 12-12-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-12-2022, 01:22 PM

Sorry, a little terminology confusion. Midi channels are selected when in blue and de-selected when in grey. Click on the channel numbers to see what I mean.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:57 PM

The Send and Receive Channels are all (both), in blue
Old 12-13-2022, 08:19 AM

Peripherals is not where you need to be. Not sure what's going on, but I'm not giving up just yet Go to the View menu>Mix window and put a check mark on "Instruments". This will add a row across the top of the MIX window and will show midi assignments for midi and instrument tracks(it will be empty for other types of tracks). Next, open Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and check that your Alesis kit has an Input Path selected. Then, let's start fresh. Open a blank session and add a stereo instrument track. Insert SD3 in the top slot(slot A) and while SD3 is open on the screen, Click on Settings(near the top left) and select Midi In/E Drums. In that window, click on DEFAULT to open a new menu list. Click on Alesis>Strike Pro. That should map sounds correctly for your kit. Back to the main SD3 window, make sure you have a kit loaded(click on each drum on the screen to verify that sounds are loaded in the plugin). Hit the Record enable button on the Instrument track, cross your fingers and play your Alesis kit.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:37 AM

Thank you very much. I’m back in the studio Friday, will check out what you have mentioned and let you know :)
Old 12-15-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Have you checked the MIDI I/O channels on the kit and under the Instrument options on the track in Pro Tools?
Yes, this is an important step.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-15-2022, 11:30 AM

I'll repost my generic "common problems with MIDI inputs":

MIDI Input "all" or correct input not selected (you already checked)
Midi Through not checked
Track not record armed
Using a MIDI or audio track when an Instrument track was needed (we all have made that mistake)
Not having a VI plugin inserted on the track

Enable the virtual instrument view in the mix or edit window and confirm you have the correct input selected, and that the track is seeing midi events (the small meter moves).

Still stuck:

Test with a different VI, like Mini Grand.

Check you can drive the VI using Windows>MIDI Keyboard

Things not working then go to more serious troubleshooting (vs check for user mistakes) with stuff like: trash prefs, test from a newly created admin account etc.

And I'll include the advice from Bob L.: a commonly-known PT "feature" is that it forgets MIDI routing fairly predictably. When it had been working with SD3 and then doesn't, view the MIDI assignments and be sure they haven't gone on vacation (greyed out). Reassign them to put them back to work.

There may be other occasional VI bugs where VIs do not produce output, sometimes folks need to create a new instrument track (not always clear if that is different from the bug mentioned above or not, just want it clear there are bugs here, start by checking all other things are OK).