Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-20-2002, 04:31 PM

Default My mic can kick your mic\'s butt

Well, not exactly. I would like it to be able to though, and that's why I'm posing the following question(s):

I've got an AKG C414B-ULS (among others), and like using it for a variety of apps. I'm now considering purchasing a new large-diaphragm mic, and am considering two: the Neumann TLM 103 and the RODE NTK.

Besides the $200 to $300 difference, I'm wondering about sound characteristics. I'd like the most versatility, but ultimately I'll be using it mainly for male voice. Do either of these "work better" with the male voice than the other? If so, how? I have considered the fact that the RODE's tube will have to be changed out every so often...I'm mainly concerned with tonal quality.
So far, it seems like the NTK is the bargain of the century, based on what I've read on this site, but I was hoping to get a good comparison of the two.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Re: My mic can kick your mic\'s butt

I don't think so - I've got a SP modded C-414 EB and 251's. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, both mics you're considering are good. Ultimately your ears must be the deciding factor. Personally, I own a Rode NTK and do NOT own a TLM103, but that doesn't mean that the Rode is "better" than the Neumann... it's a matter of personal taste and needs, and the NTK "fit" what I was after better than the TLM103 did. But I wouldn't mind having either mic. They're both nice.

As far as tone, the NTK's a bit fuller and more robust in the very bottom end, and a bit more open in the top end to my ears. The TLM103's a bit "chestier" in the lower mids. YMMV.

I think the NTK is a VERY nice mic for male vocals. IMO, it's not quite as good for female vocals, but it's serviceable for that as well.

Tube life in most microphones is measured in years - as in MANY years, so that shouldn't be a significant concern with the NTK, as it uses readily available tubes. Buy three or four "good" extras and you're probably set for a lifetime.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:47 PM

I like the NTK better than the the Neumann TLM 103 for the male voice in a rock or heavy sound. The NTK is very warm and has a nice edge.

I don't hear the same edge in the Neumann, that boils down to a matter of taste. I would recomend going out and listening to them all. I am thinking about buying another NTK just because they are such a huge value.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:03 PM

There are sound clips of mics on Neumann's website.

Docta'J
www.nukmusic.com

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 08-20-2002, 09:18 PM

I would go the NTK, Neumanns, execpt for the really expensive models are overatted. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2002, 09:26 PM

I would go for the TLM103 over the NTK, and even a KM84 over the NTK..