Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Future 001 setup

Alright so this spring/summer Im going to be purchasing an 001 and either a g4 or g5. Im thinking that will set me back around 1500, with the great prices of ebay. Anyway say ive got another grand or so I can spend on some hardware. Keep in my mind I want to be able to record good drum tracks along with everything else. Ive heard different talk about whats more important. Ive heard things about pre mics, and converters and stuff. Try to keep the explanations simple for me, pretend like im a retard. thanks guys
Old 03-05-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Future 001 setup

maybe you should rethink that and go mac mini + digi 002r which is a decent step up from the 001 and is still supported. the pres on it are def useable but there is better out there. if you want to get good drum tracks you need to start with a good drumme. next a good drum kit that is tuned properly will be a tremendous help. then some decent mics placed properly, if you used the stock pres on digi(4 of them) you could do like 2 overheads a kick mic and a snare drum mic. or a mono overhead and a room mic ect. with that other grand fill in the holes with decent monitors. do you have any mics already?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:13 PM

The 001 is out of production, won't be supported in any software releases past 6.4, and will not work on any G5's.

I agree with the Mac Mini route if you're looking to save $$.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:01 PM

I guess I had been hearing different stuff from different people. some guys saying go 002, some guys saying go with the 001 now, and use the extra money to get some decent outboard equipment. Regardless of which I one I go with, I would like to use the adat and get a good 8 mic pre amp for a more complete drum mix. I am the drummer, and I am solid. and I have a good, well tuned kit. As far as mics go, I have 3 57s, and a 52 on the kick. Im seriously considering geting a couple audix for my toms. possibly a d2 and a d4. I also am going to purchase overheads fairly soon. do you think going with the pre amp is a good way to go to get a good drum sound? Where do converters come into play, and what exactly are they for? Are there any other ESSENTIALS to a amateur pro recording. I know I will be adding as I go, but I would like a list of essentials in order of importance, so that I know waht to get, and in what order to get it.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:58 PM

with the digi002r you can do some solid stuff. the key thing is just dont "need" something. there are plenty of ways to get stuff done but there are other ways that can make it easier ect you know. if your lookin to get some good drum mics those earthworks mics sound great (the new ones. i just got the cd in the mail today and there 3 mic setup sounds as good as a 7 mic setup that was on there) if you want 8 extra pres the digimax lt isnt a bad route at all. you will clock to it and the pres are def useable but in a while when you get other gear you would probably sell that peice. i picked one up for 650 new and it sounds cool but it dosnt compare to my sytek or my vintech pres which rock. have you any drums recorded online that i could listen to what sound your workin with now?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 AM

I dont have any online, but I do have a couple tracks, on my comp, from me and a friend working with my mbox last spring. if you have an AIM or MSN name give me that. otherwise I can try emailing it to ya.