Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: 001 or 002?

Sorry I probably sound redundant and retarded. I know things in recording arent just a cut and dry thing. Im just trying to make as many distinctions as I can. As for just getting started. I have had an mbox for about a year now, and so I know a bit of my way around pro tools somewhat. the main reason that I was thinking of upgrading in the first place, is to give myself the option of more inputs for recording live, and recording drums on seperate tracks.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:08 PM

Don't worry about it man, we all sound redundant and retarded when we start out...

I think either way, you'll be happy with what you get. See if maybe you can go to a Guitar Center or something and try the 002 out. I know some of them have demos occasionally.

Best of luck,
matt
Old 02-20-2005, 10:35 PM

To the original question,

I use the 001, apogee converters and a Control 24 in my home\professional studio.

The 001, although out of date, still drives Ptools perfectly, enough for you for a couple of years to get into it and then make up your mind how the best upgrade path will talor your requirements.

There are an awfull amount of 001's still out there producing fantastic results, with macs getting faster and faster the gap to TDM has been bridged substantially in many areas, I believe that the meer'e 001 has some TDM aspects beaten hands down, not to mention the price saved you can put into mics, pres etc.... but this arguement is flogging a dead horse and will never be settled.

Bottom line, 002 has higher sample rates, perhaps better converters, but if you are going to be using this stuff for a few years, spend the time and money on studio equipment, get the outboard and settle for the 001.

You will always have the nice hardware to take to the next step in your recording career if you stick at it.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
what is this cranesong thing you are speaking of? and what does that do for the 001 that is so great? just curious, I havent heard about it
The other thing that I really like about the Cranesong HEDD 192 from www.cranesong.com is the analog tape saturation effect. It gets rid of alot of the digital edginess that you pick up with digital tracking. It is truelly like going from 001 to HD with a 32 track limit and 48k/24 bit limit. If your final product is going to 42/16 anyway, then it offers about the best A/D conversion on the market at that sample rate for under 10k. I bought one for 2700.00 from www.soundpure.com two years ago. It is capable of up to 96k/24 bit with other hardware interfaces and is expandable to 192k for the future if it becomes standard.
The other pre /converter combo that has received alot of praise it the Mini Me by Apogee with the soft limiter. I haven't used one yet but the pros that have used it all talk highly about it. I don't think the Mini Me comes with D/A conversion though, but it does have a built in preamp.

Hope that helps you out here.
Allen
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM

I like the love that's being shown to the 001. It makes me regret wanting to sell my studio as this equipment has been rock solid for me all throughout high school and now in college. However, apartments aren't really space friendly for studio equipment.

Long live the 001!

matt