Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Apogee

yes! let us hook up our trak2 directly to the card...

i know we're dreaming to wish for using the minime via usb or the trak2 via firewire, but that sure would be neat!

BR [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 02:52 AM

Lance,

The reason I won't upgrade unless Digi allows the AD8000s to be connected directly is because the improvement in sound (if any...I'm skeptical, but we'll see) is just not worth the hit to our investment.

I use PT as an editing machine and mix out on the J series in our studio. Since I don't need gobs of DSP for plugins, clock+converter sound would be the only reason to upgrade.

Don't forget that Apogee is continually improving and upgrading the AD8000 units...and those upgrades have been free. And I've been continually buying more Apogees as I go along. I'm sticking with Apogee.

Jon
Old 01-24-2002, 01:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
The most amazing thing about this thread is that with all the bashing going back and forth, NOBODY has listened to the Digi interface in a controlled enviorenment and made any comparisons. Aren't you all putting the cart before the horses? Maybe it sounds just as good or better or worse, but the point is until you hear them side by side in a controlled enviorenment this arguement is useless and stupid.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The second most amazing thing about this topic is the argument that Digi is only about money, money, money:

The new 192 interface absolutely PISSES on the Apogee AD8000 when it comes to inputs, outputs, formats, connectivity, specs (the clock alone specs better than the Aardsync II), etc. and COSTS FAR LESS WHILE DOING IT! By comparison, the AD-8000 is an overpriced waste of money. But for some strange reason, that seems to be overlooked. If the 192 sounds as good as, or better than the AD-8000 (which many other lower priced convertors do, by the way) it will be case closed.

If Digi was only about money, wouldn't the 192 do less and cost more???

No wonder Apogee is sounding scared on their web site. They're going to have a hard time selling AD8000s to Logic and Cubase users!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:36 PM

You know why they won't have a hard time? Because thousands of users have ears and can hear the difference. Try using yours before you start yelping about 'pissing on this or that'. (pssssst..They're right on the side of your head) I hate to get nasty but you kind of walked into it.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:12 PM

YEEEHHAAA!
5 bucks on the guy with no ears -
i am having sooo much fun.
tyson-lewis anyone?
Old 01-24-2002, 05:27 PM

Hello Guys,

I had 888/24s and AD-8000s hooked-up with my mixplus core, 4 mix farms, 2 DSP farms,G4/733 with plenty of plug-ins that you have to pulldown way bellow the screens of the cinema display.
I am eager to know/hear the sound quality of the HD system, though I am also worrying that I have to sale my Waves-L2,PSX-100,AD-8000s... and go for the ADCS 192KHZ AD/DA or Genex...but the truth is that, Sony's got another secret weapon that might change the whole DAW history....read it on this forum somewhere.

And then, I stop thinking about upgrading my Protools right now cause :
1. I need the 192KHZ to be at least 64 tracks as the prior 24/48 track counts - with the improved sound quality, not just 32 tracks or 64 tracks at 48KHZ. Correct me if I am wrong if we can use over 64 tracks at 192KHZ using PT HD.
2. I need all my plug-ins to be opened for the old files I've done under old PT 5.1.1. of 24/48 specs.
There're more questions that bothering me to whether upgrading the old PT to HD version or not but it seems clear now that, I should stick to the existing ones I have and make it sound as good as it was..,there're still times for me to think it over and over before the end of June 2002. We will see the responses by all the PT users from all over the plannet. Time will tell !
Old 01-24-2002, 05:30 PM

Jim, How do you know that they won't have a hard time? You say "thousands of users have ears and can hear the difference" if you haven't heard and compared the new interface, how can you say that? Again talking before listening..not a good practice
Old 01-24-2002, 06:14 PM

oh Lancy,
C'mon man.......just let the user choose.
I told you I've heard the new interface. Now can I keep my Apogees? Digi is a smart company and they changed the world. They'll come around.
Peace,
JC
Old 01-24-2002, 09:29 PM

Guys-
Better Songs, Better Musicians=Better Music
Enough said. Be nice.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:37 PM

LANCE you do have a point that we should listen to these new HD boxes but from the vibe I got at Namm from the digi reps, the new boxes MIGHT sound as good as the apogee but I seriously doubt it. If it blew away the competion I'm sure digi would have been blowing horns to all the world. All they have said is that the new system sounds better the mix system. If they are comparing it to a system with usd and 888's I would expect it to sound better. What I am getting at is that unless this new box completely blows away my apogee doing the upgrade dosen't make sense. Why upgrade to a system that might not sound better or that much better that what I already have? Even if their new system sounds as good or a little better than the mix system with apogees I will be very disapointed. You have to take into account that just as digi has improved their boxes, so has apogee. HD system may sound good but the HD system with one of apogee's new boxes (yet to be released) may sound even better. DIGI NEEDS TO OPEN IT'S ARCHITECTURE TO 3RD PARTIES SO THAT WE CAN HAVE THE BEST SOUNDING SYSTEM POSSIBLE. HD had better be one amazing system or else!!!