Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Default 002R losing Firewire connection

My 002 rack keeps dropping it's firewire connection. It happens intermittantly and often, requiring me to power cycle the unit. When it does drop off, a dialog box comes on the screen saying the Firewire connection needs to be checked. I've re-seated all the connections but it is still dropping offline. When it does so, I can hear a relay clicking inside the rack unit as if it's trying to reconnect. It does reconnect sometimes, only to drop off again soon afterwards.

Any suggestions? Could it be my computer?

002 Rack
Command 8
Power Mac G5 dual 1.8
1280 meg ram
OSX 10.3.7
PTLE 6.7
Old 06-03-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: 002R losing Firewire connection

I am having the same exact problems...please let me know if you find a solution...I am unable to record or playback anything. please e-mail me @ [email protected] with any answers. thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 05:04 PM

Do you guys happen to be using your 002rs with other firewire devices such as harddrives iSights or anything else daisy chained on the same firewire port. This is especially applicable to powerbooks. If so I would start there. Unplug anything else and see if it still cuts out. In the case of powermac G5s I was using my external drive daisy chained with my 002 console version just fine. But my iSight plugged into the back of the 002 itself would sometimes cause trouble. On my powerbook I actually had to buy a firewire pcmcia card for my harddrive because protools simply wouldnt function with them both on the same fire wire bus.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:05 PM

this could also be the common 002 problem with the power supply....digi will send you a kit to fix it and Ive heard that you can just open the unit and clean the terminals (voids warranty im sure) and it will work fine.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:46 PM

I have the same problem with my 002 system. Just started a week ago! PT looses connection with the interface and I can hear clicks inside the 002. It doesn´t matter if I use an external hard drive or my internal.

Digi002
PB 867Mhz
P.T. 6.4
Old 06-05-2005, 10:57 AM

My problem also started last week. Before that I've had six months of flawless performance.
The problem does seem like a power supply issue. The clicking sound appears to be the unit powering down and back up while the leds on the front go off and on. I'll be calling Digidesign tech support bright and early tomorrow. I'll post my results then.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:15 AM

I fixed mine. I went back and read a few pages of past posts and found someone with the same problem and the solution. It is the power supply. I took the power supply out of the digi and cleaned both the male and female connectors. when I removed the power supply, everything looked clean, but I cleaned it anyway. I took a cue tip and soaked it in pure alcohol, then let some drip down inside the female connectors and then put them back on the male connectors and took them back off...repeat this process a few times. There is one conector going into the power supply and one coming out, clean them both. when you take the cover off you will see the power supply on the left towards the front. I also removed every other connector(execpt the ones with silicon holding them on) and then pluged them back in. So far I haven't had any problems, I recorded for about seven strait hours with no problems whatsoever. I hope this helps...dispite my crappy instruction.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM

This is a powersupply issue. We got our pwrsupply harness replaced by digi, but still it happens once in a while, especially when the system is used for long hours. The quick fix is to reconnect the powersupply wiring inside.I didnt have to go to the extend of cleaning them with alcohol, but I guess that might be a long term solution. But before you attempt to open your HW, be sure to know what you are doing and also make sure your 002(r) is not under warranty.

And while removing the connecotrs, be gentle (it has a lock) so that you dont pull out any wires or break the PCB
Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
And while removing the connecotrs, be gentle (it has a lock) so that you dont pull out any wires or break the PCB
It is a real bitch getting the connector disconnected from the power supply. I couldn't grasp mine, or release the clip because it was right next to the components on the motherboard. I finally gave up.

Any advice?
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 06-06-2005, 12:52 AM

There are two wiring connections, one going to the top board (analog) and the other one to the bottom board (digital). Usually, re-sitting them solves the problem. Use your fingers or a screwdriver (be careful with it) to gently push the locking connector to release and remove the connector. The powersupply end is more tricky due to its proiximity to components and the corner positioning of the PSU itself. But you can use a screwdriver to remove it carefully. (you'll need a lot of patience for that

Try the other ends first and see if it solves your problem. Beware of static charges since you will be touching the PCBs.