Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Default Windows Convert....Which iMac?

I edged up to this a while back and then chickened out and went with a Windows machine ...which is going back.

I really want to make the switch but after cruising through the first 17 pages here I'm a little apprehensive...but still committed...

I just recently bought an Eleven Rack that came with a bad installer disk so I will be doing the install by download when I settle on the new machine.So I'm anxiously watching to see that 8.03 update for downloaders resolved :)
I assume I wont have any control over which software version I end up with....purhasing from the apple store.
(I always bought pre tweaked Digi Approved "Turn Key" systems)

I have an 002 that I may or may not use with the 11R and I will purchase a seperate recording drive (Glyph GT 050Q 500GB).

I like the idea of the iMac but not sure if there are any "real world" differences between them.
I can swing the 27" i7 but dont mind spending less i5,core duo whatever.

Any success stories with a similar 11R set up and a iMac?

Are the wireless mouse and keyboard an issue with PTLE?
Are they any other things I should consider as a "convert"?
I'll have to learn the mac software ie repairing permissions which I assume will be learnable for an old dog like me :)

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Windows Convert....Which iMac?

Well, the iMac quad is likely a great machine with some minor hiccups; Snow Leopard(which may be okay now), only a single firewire port and a single internal drive, and you will need to learn some new stuff(not a big deal). As one that has(and still does) used both, I have no ax to grind with Mac(other than the cost). The same $2K would build a killer i7 PC with a pair of 24" flatscreens. I know the grass looks greener on the other side, but once you get there, is it still greener?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM

I have decided that for my personal studio, I'm going back to Windows.

I can build a killer i7 PC for $900 that is full of compatibility tested parts and will sadly run faster than the quad core mac pro i bought two years ago, (and a million times faster than my "stuck in time" EOLd PPC G5) and PT8 still works with XP. And if for some reason or another I wanted to go TDM, I can get the cheaper PCI cards.

I love my Mac Pro - the macs are no doubt great machines, but I hate Apple. I've had 1 too many of those Cinema displays go bad in less than a year.

</complaining>

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM

I had a 20" ACD die on me last year. I sent it to these guys in San Francisco:http://www.moniserv.com/ With shipping both ways it took less than a week. It was torture going single monitor for a few days!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM

A couple of thoughts:

On the wireless mouse, Digi recommends that when using protools that you turn off bluetooth. That doesn't bode well for using anything wireless. Also, using a wireless mouse in protools is much more intensive than normal computer work (holding and dragging plugin knobs, sliders, etc.) so you will go through batteries about every 3 weeks. For this reason I bought a wired Microsoft mouse I've been happy with.

Also, the wireless keyboard does not come with the numeric keypad or page up/page down buttons. I like having these. For example to nudge a region you can use the + or - keys.

I mention this because if you order from Apple Store online, you can order the Imac with the wired keyboard (with numeric keypad) and wired mouse for no extra charge. Although for resale value I would still order the wireless mouse and then just buy a 3rd party wired mouse.

If you do get the quad Imac, spend the extra $200 to get the I7 faster processor. I've heard it's really worth it.

On the displays, the Cinema display technology is several years old. I have a 2 1/2 year old Imac and the display is great. The newest Imacs are LED which may prove even better.

If you decide to hook up a 2nd monitor you can just get a cheap Dell, Samsung, etc.

However, the other guys have a point about Windows being cheaper. I love Mac myself but I understand their point.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
If you do get the quad Imac, spend the extra $200 to get the I7 faster processor. I've heard it's really worth it.
I definitely agree. It's a no brainer for the price. I'm really happy I got the 27" i7, the 2560x1440 display is awesome.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM

It's really simple, do want a prostitute or a call girl? Both will get the job done. However you have to pay allot more for no viruses!