Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Running Out of CPU power Mac? help!

so i used to operate through my m-audio Avid Recording Studio and it was working fine, but i traded my friend for an m-audio m-track. the M-track worked fine with my microphone(Rode NT1A) and speakers(m-audio bx5a) but recently during a session, the audio kept stopping and eventually wouldnt play sound at all other than bursts of distorted static/crackling. soon enough i was getting the error saying You are running out of cpu power, remove native plugins or increase cpu usage. what is the problem?

my playback engine has always been at

H/w Buffer size:1024 samples
3 Processors
Cpu Usage Limit: 80%

im working on a mac OS X desktop
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Old 02-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Running Out of CPU power Mac? help!

I am also working On Pro-tools 10.0.0
Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 AM

I'm not a big mac guy, but I notice you had iTunes and Chrome running. I'd close everything but Pro Tools to free up as much resources as possible.

Also, be sure to go through the Optimization Guide.

If none of that helps, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 Pro
Pro Tools 2021 HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM

I notice that you appear to only have one hard drive, and that is is nearly full. This may be the source of your problems. The Avid recommendation is that Pro Tools sessions should be recorded onto a separate 7200rpm drive, not your main drive. You are asking a lot of your main drive to run the OS, run Pro Tools, run any other programmes, and still out put a continuous audio stream.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 462.59 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 17.2.2 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Canon HF G40
Old 02-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Good point ----^---- The OS drive should not be more than 75-80% full and as said above, You might think about getting a secondary drive at 7200rpm or better for recording to. These issues creeps up from nowhere and having the correct gear helps out immensly for a solid running system. If you are looking for a Harddrive make sure it ain't any power saving disc, Green drives or blue drives and thati it has a 64MB cache. The ones with great success here on the forum has been the WDC Black 1-3 GB and you can pick one up for less than $80 online. Well worth the price for the power you aquire.

A sidenote: 4GB RAM might have "worked" but as you advance further with your recordings you really domneed to up that and get two 4GB matched sticks or a single 8GB stick or better since riding a 4GB ram is really pushing it. The OS uses a minimum of 1GB and then PT has less than 3 GB to rein over and that won't be enough. What harddrive do you have now in the Mac? Hopefully it is a 7200 rpm and if it is not (5400rpm) stock drive you really need a second harddrive if you are gonna use the slower OS drive.

Best Of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbone626 View Post
so i used to operate through my m-audio Avid Recording Studio and it was working fine, but i traded my friend for an m-audio m-track. the M-track worked fine with my microphone(Rode NT1A) and speakers(m-audio bx5a) but recently during a session, the audio kept stopping and eventually wouldnt play sound at all other than bursts of distorted static/crackling. soon enough i was getting the error saying You are running out of cpu power, remove native plugins or increase cpu usage. what is the problem?

my playback engine has always been at

H/w Buffer size:1024 samples
3 Processors
Cpu Usage Limit: 80%

im working on a mac OS X desktop
Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: Macintosh HD
Quote:
I am also working On Pro-tools 10.0.0
You have a LOT of problems.
First off quit Chrome and iTunes - no need to have them running while working in PT, especially with such an anemic computer setup as you have. Second - add more ram if you can. You don't say what specific Mac you're running - Mac OSX desktop isn't enough info. Third - you really need to be recording to a separate hard drive as working with the system drive is not recommended with PT. Fourth - try updating to PT10.3.8. Lastly - have you properly optimized your setup per Avid specs?

QAPLA!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 PM

I usually dont have them running while im working on pro tools, i had the problem for a week or two so i wasnt really using it much. chrome was on because i was making the post on here hah. but dont worry i got it working again. i recently deleted alot of unused files on my computer and that includes garage band. but when we decided to use it for last resort, my friend dragged it onto my computer through his usb. For some reason, after that, pro tools was working fine with the mtrack! thank for the advice though im going to look into getting a seperate harddrive.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I usually dont have them running while im working on pro tools, i had the problem for a week or two so i wasnt really using it much. chrome was on because i was making the post on here hah. but dont worry i got it working again. i recently deleted alot of unused files on my computer and that includes garage band. but when we decided to use it for last resort, my friend dragged it onto my computer through his usb. For some reason, after that, pro tools was working fine with the mtrack! thank for the advice though im going to look into getting a seperate harddrive.
Garage Band shouldn't have been an issue as that's a stock Apple program everyone has. There's probably something in the files you deleted. Do you remember what exact files you deleted? Posting that may help us to help you.

And on that last point - what exact Mac model do you have? What exact version of OSX are you running? You don't give us enough info to be able to help you. Just saying you fixed it by deleting some files isn't enough to be able to make sure you really solved the problem.

Are you really running PT10.0.0? You really need to update to PT10.3.8

QAPLA!