Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Workspace Unusable STILL

So seriously, 6 months into using Pro Tools 8, "workspace" is still totally unusable for me on my $20,000+ pro tools HD rig. Any audio file I click on (of all types and on ANY drive) causes the system to loop the audio, then I get the beachball, and then crash. Same thing happens if I put an Audio CD into the tray and click on it's file too. Instant loop, and then crash.

Running PT8 (cs3) on a Quad Core Mac (10.5.6) with 8 Gigs of RAM.
All plug-ins installed are on the compatible list.

I assumed cs3 was going to fix this.

Not.

I use the pref trashing tool, and this usually gets me about 30 minutes of time before workspace crashes again when clicking on audio files.

Had been using PT FULL TIME every day since version 5.0 came out and NEVER had this kind of crashing.

I mean come on, even I-Tunes can play an audio CD on this same computer (even through the Digi hardware!) without crashing, but Pro Tools can't!!!???

Give me a break.

-John Mad Anthony

PS: gonna start on a pretty serious anti-Pro Tools ranting campaign if this crap isn't figured out soon. There ARE alternatives out there...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Workspace Unusable STILL

+1
Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM

+1

Whenever I first use workspace to copy a file name and then create a bounce, PT will crash when I go to initiate the bounce. To me it feels like a big memory leak when the browser is used at all. Every time PT gets updated I pray the browser will work. Then after about a day I have to stop using it because of instability. Perhaps the browser should be eliminated since it can't be repaired.

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 AM

IMO, the workspace especially the browser is the along with RTAS VIs the weakest spot in protools. I wonder if the folks programming PT are actually using the browser to browse with. I myself resort to the finder every time. If it wasnt for the Finder I would have had a heart attack on digidesign's account years ago
Old 07-18-2009, 11:54 AM

With ya' on this one!

Welcome to PITA-ville !

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM

+1!!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM

+1.

I've posted about this before. In several threads. Workspace is unusuable. The only thing I can use it for is to re-tell the drives for T/P/R status. Even with databse folders being deleted on startup. Four HD3's can fail just by auditioning files. Moving samples to a discreet internal did nothing. Killing pref's gives us about an hour. I can't kill pref's every day on 6 systems or ask 10 guys to do the same.

I keep the systems here default booting to 7.4 - mostly for this issue. I've resorted back to the 'Import Audio' dialog (as well as Finder patched to an alt stereo input on the console for easy back-and-forth).

I, too was *Really Hoping* cs3 would sort this out. I am beginning to feel like The suits at Digi are having the wrong kinds of meetings, or atthe very least, the wrong types of priorities in those meetings.

It sucks to be on the helpless side of the customer service scenario.

We shouldn't have to stand on our heads, killing pref's, zapping databse folders, triple-checking the compato and yanking more plugs that probably aren't the culprit, restart the mac, repair permissions, re-set cards and RAM and then re-install the OS/PT/csX (with repairing permissions at/before every one of those steps) just to make PT work right. Currently there are three guys here who want 7.4/10.4.11 to stay here for ever. (for eva eva?)

I'm gonna have to watch some Tad Donley on YouTube to forget about this.

Workspace used to be the BEST feature of PT - catalogs in the Digibase used to make my life SO easy. Now I'll be post-conforming a feature next month in 7.4 only cause I'll need to audition a gazillion files. Good thing I have sunglasses! Musically I've had a good time in 8 - when I don't use Workspace and ritually flex the 'Maverick' boot sequence with some twisted variation on the above tech-laden magic order of pref's/permissions/prayer.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM

same here... I actually posted a thread about the CD thing over a year & a half ago... Guess we see that still is what it is

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 07-18-2009, 01:07 PM

+1
Just had a Cubase/Nuendo user demonstrate how their 'Media Bay' searched and found descriptions in .BWF files MUCH more efficiently than PTs workspace
Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
IMO, the workspace especially the browser is the along with RTAS VIs the weakest spot in protools. I wonder if the folks programming PT are actually using the browser to browse with. I myself resort to the finder every time. If it wasnt for the Finder I would have had a heart attack on digidesign's account years ago
+1
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio