Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Comping takes in LE

Hey there. I'm recording an album on Protools LE (6.2.2) / OS 10.3.5.

Record multiple takes on one track -- OK
Selecting multiple takes using the popup (Command+click track) -- OK
Slice regions and still select takes using the popup -- OK

The problem is if I trim a region, the popup only shows that region and not any of the other takes. Is there some setting that will allow all takes to be trimmed so that the "Match Lengths" preference still applies?

I looked all through the documentation and searching this board, but I couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-18-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Comping takes in LE

I may be off, but if you leave an area selected as you switch takes, it will remain the same length.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 PM

Why not create new playlists? It makes things a lot easier. Then, when you have enough takes, just make a new playlist called WhateverYouRecorded.comp.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:57 AM

Let me second the multiple playlists idea. I use a new playlist for each take. Then I create a new playlist and capitalize the name (from guitar to GUITAR). Creative, I know, but I assemble the master guitar together without worrying about all of the rules concerning loop playback and such.

PC
Old 10-19-2004, 08:40 AM

I did read about the playlist thing, but I haven't tried it yet. So I would create a new playlist for each take, correct? How do I get the different takes into the playlists? Do I create a new track for each take and one for the master comp?

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:01 AM

I create a new playlist for each take, on the same track to avoid the routing work you would need to do if you created a new track. After I've gotten enough good takes, I create new tracks and pull the best takes into them by using the "other" playlist option. I put the three or four best takes all above the new comp track. I cut out the best licks using cmmnd e and then cntrl drag them onto the comp track to keep them horizontally constrained. If the licks are overlapping and you dig it, make two comp tracks. Afterwards I get rid of the other tracks leaving just the comp(s).
Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 AM

Again...great help. I'm used to Logic, so I appreciate it.

Is there a setting in LE that allows new playlists to be created automatically for each take during loop recording?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:05 PM

The cool thing about playlists is that they are "stacked up" on top of each other. So when I come to a line in the "master" take that I need to replace, I just highlight it and go hunting in the other playlists for a replacement. All of the takes are stacked up time-wise, so there is no dragging left or right, just highlight on the phrase, copy, then change to the master playlist (area is still highlighted) and paste the phrase in the master playlist.

I also use the "duplicate playlist" choice in the drop-down menu before I consolidate the resulting segments from a comp. That way I have a safety of the old playlist if I want to go back.

PC
Old 10-20-2004, 04:43 AM

a while ago someone asked about shortcuts to create new playlists instead of using the mouse - nobody replied.

i'll check back on the manual, but since no one answered i doubt this feature exists.

i'd still love Digi implenented it in 6.7...

regards

G.