Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2022, 11:12 AM

Default HDX rig/PT Studio software: will PT see the HD|IO?

As above. Obviously the DSP wouldn't be available, but would the HD|IO still function as a CoreAudio device, or is the Ultimate package required to have a driver?

[edit: I have a PT Ultimate perpetual license and pay for the support package. So if I switched to Studio, I would think my system would still work as it is and would only stop when I needed to update something. Wouldn’t that be the case?

Last edited by melodydetective; 11-28-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:34 AM

Default Re: HDX rig/PT Studio software: will PT see the HD|IO?

HD I/O has a digi mini link connector to interface with the computer. HD I/O doesn't work as a stand alone AD/DA converter into AES or ADAT etc. You must have either an HDX card or an HD Native card to use an HD I/O.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 11-28-2022, 12:01 PM

No. Pro Tools Studio will not be able to use the HDX card and HD I/O as a core audio device. Pro Tools software is locked out from using Digilink devices if there's no HD/Ultimate license present. You can use the HDX card and HD IO as a core audio interface for any other DAW, just not Pro Tools, unless you have an HD/Ultimate license. (Digilink I/O license is no longer required for the latest PT versions, but was required for a range of versions, maybe from about 12.4 to 2021.x? but don't quote me on that).
Old 11-28-2022, 12:04 PM

The variable I will insert into the above is that I have a perpetual license. That should mean if I stop paying for the support package, though I lose the plugins that go with it, my system should work as it is until something needs an update - isn’t that the case?
Old 11-28-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
The variable I will insert into the above is that I have a perpetual license. That should mean if I stop paying for the support package, though I lose the plugins that go with it, my system should work as it is until something needs an update - isn’t that the case?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you suggesting that you will stop updating your Ultimate perpetual license support plan and then buy a separate subscription to Studio, while keeping your expired Ultimate perpetual license? If that is the case, then if you are running a newer version of Pro Tools and authorizing it with the Studio license then you will have the same problem since Pro Tools will be launching as Studio, not ultimate.
Old 11-28-2022, 12:53 PM

If I'm understanding what you're asking, as above you need Ultimate to use your HDX.

If you don't want to renew your Ultimate Update & Support Plan, your Perpetual Ultimate license will authorize the latest Pro Tools release before your Plan expired. You will lose any "extras" that are only available with a current Update & Support Plan.

Personally, if that's your plan going forward, I would buy a Reinstatement Code from an Avid Reseller - NOT Avid as you can't bank it if you buy from the Avid Store - and keep the Reinstatement Code until you want or need to update your Perpetual Ultimate license.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction