Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-06-2020, 05:19 AM

Default ProTools First cannot change sampling rate

I have used PT10 for some time in VO work, no issues changing sampling and bit rate.

Just downloaded ProTools first, and found it seems to be stuck on the default sampling rate of 48K 24 bit. Every time I try and change it to 96K in playback engine, it reverts back to 48K within seconds. I have tried all the obvious things, such as making the change before opening a new track, logging out, and back in again, but it reverts back to 48K 24 bit every time.

Is it fixed at this sampling rate? (I thought it could be used at 96K, but I maybe wrong?)

Gear: MacBook Pro - Catalina, 10.15.7
SSL 2 interface.

I have tried other software (and can record in 96K and higher without problems).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 05:22 AM

Default Re: ProTools First cannot change sampling rate

This might be one of PTF limitations as it is a free ”try out PT before buying”.

You can just google the limitations and look at Avids comparison page

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-06-2020, 05:24 AM

Thanks for replying. You are probably right.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoverman View Post
Thanks for replying. You are probably right.

Sorry I was wrong
If you look here https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison it says 32 bit and 96 khz with PT First (Hardware dependant) so you shiuld be able to use up to 96 KHz.

Let me know if you cant grt there and I will get someone to troubleshoot this. I would start a brand kew session at 96Khz and try that with nothing except that new session and make it a session you save on the harddrive as I am bad at using the cloud with too much issues. We have Ultimate here and a big studio so First is not my fortι. Again sorry for the confusion from me.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-06-2020, 07:53 AM

A possible reason is some other app or macOS itself is using the device at 48 kHz. Make sure it's not set to be the default sound output in Audio/MIDI setup.

I hope you are aware of the problems that many users run into with Pro Tools First cloud project storage (look at all the posts on DUC for a start). And if you need to collaborate with other Pro Tools users you can't do that with exchanging standard Pro Tools sessions which First does not support. I would not be risking losing hard work on First and it's cloud projects, I would use Pro Tools (standard) with Sessions or just about any other DAW.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-06-2020 at 08:38 AM.