Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2003, 04:28 AM

Default Ethernet traffic problem, or just the PS again?

Okay...

We've definately got one of the units with the Power Supply problems, as in the past year it's been replaced, though not since the console was relatively new. I wasn't running the system at that point, so I was not privy to the symptoms.

I've begun to notice a pattern, however. Working in a busy post environment with all of the video editors (Avid Media Composers, Symphonys and DS's networked), I've noticed that often when pushing or pulling a large OMF or similar file to or from a network drive mounted on my desktop, while the file transfer is cooking along, the Control|24 loses communication with ProTools. Surface lights up like a roman candle and becomes worthless. Kill the amps, cycle the power on the surface, power the amps, hit "ok" and things seem to come back fine. It may do this 3 or 4 times in a row before settling down.

It also does it when I'm not pushing or pulling a file, but I can't confirm if it coincides with a spike in network activity.

On the install side, the console ethernet connection runs to a hub, which also has the facility ethernet connection, then to the back of the mac.

Any similar problems seen, or is this just the Power Supply starting to really flake out again? Some days it happens alot, (6-8 times through the span of a day, usually in the afternoon), some days not at all. The system is always shut down at the end of the day, including the surface. Also, everything is power conditioned twice, once when the AC comes in off of the street in front of the facility tech power breaker box, then again through a furman (for last line of defense against surges) in the suite.

Thanks for the input. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brad McIlvaine
Audio Mixer/Designer
Henninger Digital Audio/1150 Post
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Ethernet traffic problem, or just the PS again?

Hi Brad,
I have heard there are problems with many hubs, you may want to check the digi site for compatability. If your useing WPS Collin is no help at all.
As to another question: I am an audio engineer I work in Bethesda and have wished to work in a place like that. Whats the poop, is there someone that I need to contact to get in there? I have an extensive background and education in audio and I am not that familer with this area. Came down from Philly was originally from NYC. I am writing from work my home e-mail is
[email protected] Please contact me there if you can give me any information. Thank you very much in advance
Neil Samuels
Old 01-21-2003, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Groeg:
Turned out to be everytime he tried to copy my mix he would cause the Control|24 to freak out.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah... I figured as much. Thanks for the confirmation.

Brad McIlvaine
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 01-22-2003, 12:19 AM

Hey 1150Post,

I had the same problem last week. Working on a project and all my lights and faders freak out. Shut down and reset everything. Now I'm back up and running only to have the same thing happen again just minutes later. My first thought was power supply but then our Avid guy walks in and says he's trying to pull a mix off my shared folder and that my machine keeps crashing. Turned out to be everytime he tried to copy my mix he would cause the Control|24 to freak out.

Now I turn file sharing off when I'm working on my projects and turn it back on only when the Avid guys need something from me. My conrol|24 is on a hub also. Hope this is the same fix for you.

Chris Groegler
Old 01-23-2003, 01:46 PM

Interconnect your hubs with switches....

IE: set up your network so that the Procontrol/Control 24 is on a small hub directly connected togeher in each studio. Connect the studios to a central switch. Setup the switch to assure that only packets destined to specific nodes on the network cross the "boundries" between the switch ports. This wil stop the peak hits from timing out protool packets on the ethernet. If you're not up to speed on ethernet.. Ethernet, no matter how " Fast " ( ie: 1meg, 10meg, 100 meg ) or configured " fiber, 10baseT, twisted-pair will still hit peak moments.. It is a "PARTYLINE" everybody talks at once, using carrier sense multiple access / collision detection methodology... Everyone talks at once... everyone backs off for a select period of time ( based on internal clocking and address math ) then due to the difference in staggered access wait times, someone grabs the cable and everyone else waits. this happens for every transmission....
So it's a good idea to configure your internal networks correctly... If you need help or you want some details feel free to e-mail me...

cheers
georgia
[email protected]

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 01-24-2003, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by georgia:
Interconnect your hubs with switches....

...So it's a good idea to configure your internal networks correctly... If you need help or you want some details feel free to e-mail me...

cheers
georgia
[email protected]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks... I confirmed the setup was incorrect with my Engineer, and when he has a moment, he said he'd set me up exactly as you stated.

Thanks for the help!

Brad McIlvaine
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036