Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 AM

Default External Preamp Placement 003 / Control 24

Where is the best placement in order to use an external preamp when using a 003 Rack combined with the Control 24. Should I take the Protools out cable before going into the 003 rack using a patchbay for preamp selection and then introduce the preamp or should I simply run my booth mic directly into the external preamp via the patchbay and then xlr cable out from each external preamp into a chosen xlr mic input path on the back of the Control 24? Running 8.0 LE - 003 Rack, Digimax FS with three external possible choices in Preamps. I would also like to know where the Antares AVP-1 should be introduced in the path as well - Thank you
Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Default Re: External Preamp Placement 003 / Control 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433byron View Post
Where is the best placement in order to use an external preamp when using a 003 Rack combined with the Control 24. Should I take the Protools out cable before going into the 003 rack using a patchbay for preamp selection and then introduce the preamp or should I simply run my booth mic directly into the external preamp via the patchbay and then xlr cable out from each external preamp into a chosen xlr mic input path on the back of the Control 24? Running 8.0 LE - 003 Rack, Digimax FS with three external possible choices in Preamps. I would also like to know where the Antares AVP-1 should be introduced in the path as well - Thank you
Hi,

If using an external preamp, then route the signal out from preamp directly into the 003 interface using the "line in" not the mic xlr inputs. As the signal coming from the preamp will be line level.

Does the Digimax fs have digital outputs? if so then you could route the digital output from the Digimax to the digital input on the 003.

No need to route through the control 24 at all. always use the most direct route to your interface!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 AM

Red face Re: External Preamp Placement 003 / Control 24

Question,

If I go directly into the 003 (using 5-8), what functions or monitoring do I lose on my control surface? Will the control surface still show all monitoring levels just as it did when I was plugging a mic into the prospected channel or does that channel basically appear dead, or in non use. If this is the case - the point of having a surface control loses the novelty.

To clear up your point - you are saying anytime I plug in AFTER the Control surface xlr mic that my ouput connections become line level - correct? what happens if I install at the Control 24 output and take it in as line levl into the outboard preamp and then back into the input source of the 003?

Last question - The Antares AVP-1, where should I introduce this outboard gear into the line - (and, is this worth having or should I go to a plugin for LE).

Thank you
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433byron View Post
Question,

If I go directly into the 003 (using 5-8), what functions or monitoring do I lose on my control surface? Will the control surface still show all monitoring levels just as it did when I was plugging a mic into the prospected channel or does that channel basically appear dead, or in non use. If this is the case - the point of having a surface control loses the novelty.

To clear up your point - you are saying anytime I plug in AFTER the Control surface xlr mic that my ouput connections become line level - correct? what happens if I install at the Control 24 output and take it in as line levl into the outboard preamp and then back into the input source of the 003?

Last question - The Antares AVP-1, where should I introduce this outboard gear into the line - (and, is this worth having or should I go to a plugin for LE).

Thank you
I think you may have some confusion regarding the C24's preamps and the whole setup(and its easy to get confused). The preamps in the C24 are simply a set of stand-alone preamps that you can use or not use(your discretion) with your system. To use them, you would take the output TDIF connection from the C24 and patch it(via TRS) to line inputs of an interface(could be your 003, or an 8 channel lightpipe device like the DigiMax FS). Keep in mind that the lightpipe connection will only go up to 48K sample rate. When you use the 003 preamps or any other preamp(NOT the C24 preamps) the only thing you lose is the GAIN control on the C24. With your setup, I would do some recording to compare the DigiMax preamps with the C24 preamps. If the DigiMax sounds better(or different) I would probably use the DigiMax preamps for 1 set of 8 inputs and then use the other set of 8 from the C24 for convenience. If the C24 preamps sound fine to you(and they may do just that), then using all 16 C24 preamps and going line level to your interface/DigiMax would be the simple and convenient setup. Personally, I would skip a patchbay to avoid the extra connections(which are all a possible source of BAD connection). I would also sell the Antares unit and get a good tuning program(Melodyne is my choice). Just my 2 cents

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Thank you for the reply! - I would like to trouble the team for one last set of questions regarding this setup.

If I go line level out, which my understanding is that coming out of control 24 preamps are all line level TRS, I would then plug into my 003 rack and need to set the front set of buttons for group 1-4 at line level? The 5-8 are already set at line level with no buttons to push - correct? The Digimax setup would be to go in at TRS instead of XLR, but here is the other question...if I do go in at line level to these (Interface and Digimax) would I not be stacking my preamps? It seems no matter what, you cannot use both in conjunction with the other. My other goal would be to use an external preamp - I would gather that I simply use the 003 rack and the 5-8 TRS for these? Should I use the digimax inserts instead for these??
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

As long as you use the TRS inputs coming into the 003 and Digimax, you at least are bypassing an entire GAIN stage(and this would be the correct way to do it). Coming into the Digimax via the insert return would be the cleanest and shortest path, with the disadvantage that it will be an unbalanced connection(up to you to decide if that's a problem or not). On the 003, I would use the TRS inputs for 1 thru 4 and crank the GAIN knobs all the way down. On 5 thru 8, make sure the level switches on the back are in the +4 position. As for the Digimax, I guess you just need to try both ways and see if you prefer the sound of one way over the other(or if you can even hear a difference).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave