Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Default Instrument Tracks don't receive MIDI (but MIDI tracks do)

I'v had this problem so long I actually stopped using Instrument tracks altogether. I create an Instrument track and there's no MIDI input, but if I create a MIDI track it works perfectly. I would LOVE to resolve this. Any ideas?
Old 08-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Instrument Tracks don't receive MIDI (but MUDI tracks do)

Hmmm, in 18 years of Pro Tools, I have never had an issue recording midi to either MIDI or INSTRUMENT tracks. I do configure any midi controllers under the Setup>Midi>Midi Studio setup window. If controllers are configured correctly there, then all should be good because, by default, MIDI and INSTRUMENT tracks will receive midi data from any/all controllers(you can change assignments so multiple controllers can "feed" multiple VI's independently. My big rig used to have a weighted 88 controller for piano, an unweighted controller for organ(with a midi drawbar unit for full control of DB-33) and a Roland TD-10 kit for playing Superior Drummer and Addictive Drums and I could track all 3 at the same time.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2021, 03:24 PM

This seems odd. I do have occasional problems with newly-reActivated Instrument tracks having lost their MIDI Assignment (Output -> to the VI). So, always check that...

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 08-04-2021, 03:46 PM

Mink -- I've posted about this several times here over the past decade and it always leads nowhere. Some insist that it's never an issue for them, which is dandy, but it's consistently an issue with my rig, and my rig in Chicago, and the rigs of other composers in our company.

Point is: yes, it's a well-documented problem for some users. Unfortunately, it continues (I had it show up just yesterday) and nothing has been done to alleviate it.

I honestly can't remember where the last thread left off -- it's been a while. I suppose you could search for it. Personally, I just use MIDI tracks designated to those VIs.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:29 PM

I remember this from like 10 years ago, instrument tracks were quite new. Never found a cause for it, very illusive thing, other people did not have it. As I recall, it went away with a PT update, and I haven't experienced it since. But it's a thing, for shure.
Reinstallation of PT maybe worth a shot?
Old 08-05-2021, 10:45 AM

Heh, I opened a session I'd started yesterday, one with MIDI on the Instrument track, and voila... MIDI on that track is dead. Can't play MIDI live and the recorded notes do nothing.

Ben: reinstalling PT doesn't help unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:32 PM

I realize I’m not talking to newbs here, but sometimes you just gotta ask the most obvious question. Everybody knows where the Instrument view section is where you can check the MIDI ins and outs on an instrument track right?

Anytime I’ve ever had a problem with an instrument track, fixing the routing solved it. Admittedly though I’m not a heavy VI or instrument track user so I can’t claim to have the experience here a heavy VI user would have.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-06-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I realize I’m not talking to newbs here, but sometimes you just gotta ask the most obvious question. Everybody knows where the Instrument view section is where you can check the MIDI ins and outs on an instrument track right?

Anytime I’ve ever had a problem with an instrument track, fixing the routing solved it. Admittedly though I’m not a heavy VI or instrument track user so I can’t claim to have the experience here a heavy VI user would have.
Yes, repairing the routing can solve it. But the routing (on an existing track) getting lost in the first place is kind of a persisting problem.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 AM

I have the very same issues as the OP. but on PC... at least on two different systems. Instruments randomly recieve (or not) midi
Old 08-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Yes, repairing the routing can solve it. But the routing (on an existing track) getting lost in the first place is kind of a persisting problem.
Oh god the number of thread I've started or added to complaining about this. I still get it on occasion even now.