Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Another Apple Rumor

I heard today that not only is Apple trying to acquire Apogee but MOTU as well.

If this is true.........our world as we know it is about to change.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Another Apple Rumor

is this a rumor

or a joke ?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:00 PM

I don't know if it is true but I heard it from a source I asked to check out the Apogee rumor.
He told me the Apogee rumor has credibility to it and not only that but Apple may buy MOTU as well.
I guess we will have to wait and see. But no joke and no trolling.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:14 PM

I don't see the reason behind purchasing MOTU, when they already own Logic (eMagic). Although I can see why they're interested in Apogee, and if they're interested in MOTU for the hardware, it may be that Apogee isn't interested in selling, so they need to look elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Default Another Rob Rumor

I don't think Apple will gain much by acquiring Apogee since Apogee is predominantly focused on high-end audio interfaces.
On the other hand MOTU would be a better investment for them since MOTU is both a low-end interface and Mac software developer.
Apple would definitely gain more by acquiring MOTU.
Personally I don't think acquiring Emagic was a very good idea from their business point of view.
Finally, I don't believe any of these rumors
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Re: I\'m finally famous for something

Wow. I had no idea I was famous for rumors. Maybe just boredom. I didn't post the original Apogee rumor, just fell into it.
That's what I heard. Thought others might know more or confirm.
Time for lurk mode.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:26 AM

Apple buys MOTU. Next version of Logic on Apple/MOTU hardware is a viable alternative to Pro Tools.

Digidesign announces they will eventually phase out Mac support.

Studios everywhere plan on the conversion to PCs while many decide to hold out for as long as they can once Digi has released the last version of Pro Tools for Mac. Still many others decide to jump ship to Logic or yet a third program.

You heard it here first, folks!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Another Rob Rumor

Quote:

On the other hand MOTU would be a better investment for them since MOTU is both a low-end interface and Mac software developer.
the HD192 is a low end interface? you might want to get your ears cleaned then compare that to your digi 192's. the hd192 is an excellent and well priced unit.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:52 AM

I'd rather see Apple buy Apogee than MOTU. It's true that to date, Apogee has focused on higher-end products, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do something cost effective as well. Besides, I do think that Apple is aiming for both the high end and low end market. The ability to chain additional Macs in Logic 7 makes Logic a more serious contender.

I could see MOTU being anxious to sell to Apple. I don't have any figures, but my guess would be that MOTU's revenue comes primarily from selling hardware. DP is not a bad application, and there are certainly a bunch of people out there who have been using the application for ages. It's my sense, however, that the DP user base is not experiencing much growth. I know a number of people who have recently switched to Logic. I also know a lot of people currently using Garage Band that have plans of upgrading to Logic 7. I don't know anyone who's recently switched to DP or is planning to switch to DP. Considering how extensive the Logic 7 package is and how inexpensive it is when you consider what you're getting, it would be hard for any company to compete. MOTU might be very anxious to cut and run. Logic and DP are extremely different in their approach (I prefer Logic). Considering the extensive code for each application, I don't envision Logic and DP being morphed into a single product with attributes of both. In a way, I think it would be a loss if DP was discontinued. Competition is healthy. OTOH, Apple is intensely aware of the need to compete against PC products. Logic has certainly not rested on any laurels since being acquired by Apple. The pace of Logic development is absolutely astounding, and I see no signs of it abating. It's an amazing tool. The ability to do a single installation and have a mountain of high-end plug-ins, excellent virtual instruments, an incredible sampler and a stunning convolution reverb in one package is pretty attractive. There's only one dongle. No hassling with goofy copy protection schemes, iLoks, or any of that kind of nonsense. You also KNOW that it's always going to work with the latest hardware and operating system that Apple releases. There's no waiting for things to catch up. In short, Logic may be all that a lot of people need in one extremely easy-to-install and manage package. With every passing day that I spend hassling with compatibility, researching (and paying through the nose for) updates and revisions, not to mention grappling with incredibly convoluted copy protection schemes designed by the devil himself, the all-in-one package seems more and more attractive.

If Apple acquires an interface hardware manufacturer, and interfaces are specifically designed for Logic, we might see some incredible new products.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-22-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Apple buys MOTU. Next version of Logic on Apple/MOTU hardware is a viable alternative to Pro Tools.

Digidesign announces they will eventually phase out Mac support.

Studios everywhere plan on the conversion to PCs while many decide to hold out for as long as they can once Digi has released the last version of Pro Tools for Mac. Still many others decide to jump ship to Logic or yet a third program.

You heard it here first, folks!
I use Logic and PTHD and Native processing is no match for dedicated DSP processing (Yet). I/O latency on software monitoring with native systems is too high. Plus the ability to have a large number of tracks (and DSP) with zero CPU strain is a must for any high end system. There are too many software packages that are not available on PC. I can't see Logic with TDM hardware on a PC if ever.