Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Weird C24 Glitch...any ideas?

There has been a strange glitch with our Control|24 ever since we purchased it: every once in a while, when trying to level something coming into the micpres, there will be absolutely no signal, even though everything is set up correctly. HOWEVER, it can be fixed if you cycle through the inputs on channel 1 (Mic/Line/DI). As soon as it returns to Mic, the levels come back. This glitch actually cuts out several channels sometimes, although cycling through channel 1 ins will alleviate all channels affected.

I have searched the forums and found nothing about this . If I have missed it, let me know. Please help!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Weird C24 Glitch...any ideas?

Hello,

Sorry i can't help with your problem, but i can say i have never seen a report on this specific problem before! if the c24 is working well in all other areas, then its just one of those little anomolies that you have live with.

If you start to get other symptoms then there is a chance that this is related to the common power supply issue!! can't say for sure, but might be worth giving all the contacts on the power supply connectors a clean and check they are all making a good tight connection.

I would leave it for now!! but if you do see other symptoms like flickering lights and scribble strips and faders behaving strangely then i recommend the power supply cleaning/servive.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 PM

Sorry,

I too have seen C24s do a LOT of things, but that one is new to me too. Maybe (BIG GUESS HERE) it maybe has something to do with the way you power cycle your studio. I am the LAST person who should be chiming in about something electrical AND technical, but, what the heck?

I've had things work on computers that first seemed to be enormous, and then they just fix themselves. it's always described by big time techs to me as "Computer Voodoo" way too many times! Good Luck! Maybe submit a support document to Digi and see what they say???

Oh, I was reading Chris's post again and it reminded me of some other things you might try. As my Jewish grandmother would have said, " It couldn't hoit."

1. Download the latest firmware for your C24 & redo your I/O setup AFTER trashing those preferences and rebooting. Those preferences get corrupted so easily. (BTW, this kind of trouble with signal paths not being seen correctly by PT seems to be a pretty common problem for many of us,. I have a similar but different problem that sound really similarly related and so does another friend of mine. He has a similar, but not the same problem, and they all have to do with audio not getting into PT from the pres and through the I/o setup)

2. Disconnect and reconnect the C24 D-subs inputs, AND if you have another snake, or if you can switch I/o snakes from tracks 1-8 to 9-16 you might find out if there's a funky cable (although not super likely with these symptomsyou describe)

3. Rescan the surface under the ethernet peripherals preference, and, if you have some other mic pres, hook them up to that same snake and see if they still get lost. that would at least, take most of the hardware issues a moot point and it narrows your problem to either a software issue, or a funky logic board, somewhare in that C24.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys, we really appreciate it here. Going from the suggestions you've made, and also from some other recent goofy things that have been happening in our studio, I would venture to say it's a power issue. We've had other preamps (non-C24) acting funny lately, and their problems are definitely (we're 95% sure, since in other rooms they're fine) related to power.

I'll test your suggestions, and let you know what results. Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM

We have the same issue on our C24. The problem is that it stops sending phantom on the respective channels (which is random channnels). I have noticed that it often occurs if you patch another preamp in instead of the C24's. When doing this some odd preamp on the C24 has to be "recycled" on the inputs before sending phantom again. And this is of course unrelated to the channel where you are inserting the preamp.
Please tell if you find a solution og the exact problem
Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 AM

No solution as of yet, but I'll keep you posted. Let me know, too, if you find a solution.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 AM

Hi there, we've had similar problems occasionally, along with the more common all lit up problem, the phantom is fed to the pre's in two banks of 8 all from the same o/p on the PSU, unlikely as it sounds we've cured all these problems by replacing the lead from the PSU to the pre's. My own theory is that the installed lead has inadequate insulation causing current to leak between + an -, that coupled with fairly insecure connectors can cause any amount of problems with a switch mode PSU, when another mic is plugged into the preamp bank the loading on the phantom supply will change, sometimes causing the 48v supply of the PSU to shut down (to about 0.5 volts we found) and other times to cause the "all lit up" problem. Since changing to connecting leads made with better wire and connectors we have had no further problems (yet!) Like everyone else our C24 is in use most of the time but with a fairly static setup for audio post, the problems always seemed to occur during a session using multiple mic's, with plugging and unplugging while the phantom is on, such as music recording., we have only done a couple of music recordings since the leads were changed but the C24 worked as it should. The leads were changed at the end of February this year. I hope this rather long winded reply is of some use to all affected. Has anyone else been delving into the innards of the C24?