Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2002, 06:59 AM

Default Want to play Quick Time-files on Mac and PC(!)

I have for at least a year been trying to find a solution to how I can play QT-files bounced on PT LE 5.0.1 for Mac on Quick Time for PC. The PC recognizes the files as QT, but plays audio only.
I have asked Digi Design-dealers in Scandinavia and Britain, but no one seems able to help me.
The reason why I want to do this, is because I teach sound engineer-students PT and many of them want to bring their art [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] home and play on their PC’s. Until now, I have imported the files to Premiere (on a PC) and rendered them again as QT. (Premiere recognizes the files with video.) Understandable perhaps, -this takes a lot more time and effort than I think necessary.

Guess I could have posted this on several forums, but hope someone here can help.

T)runn
Old 10-03-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Want to play Quick Time-files on Mac and PC(!)

I do this all the time at work, there are probably other ways of doing it but what I do is open the movies into Quicktime Pro [quite cheap download from apple £30 or so I think?] and then simply export them as Quicktime movies but with .mpg on the end and that always works for me as long as the text pre the .mpg isn't too long-a-name.

hope this helps.

pete diggs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2002, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I have for at least a year been trying to find a solution to how I can play QT-files bounced on PT LE 5.0.1 for Mac on Quick Time for PC. The PC recognizes the files as QT, but plays audio only.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Have you tried reading that same file (the Bounced to Movie one) on your Mac. You could get exactly the same result (audio but no video). That would only mean that the movie you've previously imported in PT wasn't a "real" QT file (.mov) but rather a Jpeg or other (AVI...) with just a QT icon on it. That's a classic. PT supports those kind of files (as far as playback is concerned) but can only bounce "real"(.mov) QT files.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:59 PM

Try this : open the quicktime file in a video editor (e.g Premiere, Final Cut) on the mac, and resave as quicktime. You will not have to recompress or anything, just open the file and save under a different name.

The reason the quicktime files generated during bounce to movie will not playback correctly on a PC is due to a bug in PT.

BTW: Are you Jorunn at NISS? Seem to remember you spelling your name that way

All the best and hope this helps!

Espen.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:27 AM

[/QUOTE]Have you tried reading that same file (the Bounced to Movie one) on your Mac? [/QUOTE]

I always check the files after bouncing... (what do you take me for?!?) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My next step was to buy QT Pro, but I was kinda hoping that there would be a more simple way to do this. PT must use some kind of strange compressor-settings that a PC doesn’t recognize.

Hi there, Espen. I’m the one you think, but change the ‘J’ with a ‘T’, please… [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Do you know for a fact that this is a bug in PT?
And you of all should know that we neither have Premiere nor Final Cut on our Macs. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for all replies

T)runn
Old 10-04-2002, 06:44 AM

Sorry for the spelling mistake, Torunn..

Yes, i know for a fact it's due to a bug in PT. If you check out the answerbase at Digidesign, you might find a reference to it there. That's where I learned about it.

And, yes, I do know you don't have Premiere or FC on your macs, of course. Stupid me. Have you tried just opening the file in QT Pro and resaving?

I thing digidesign stated that the QT files produced in PT have a mistake in the file identifier/resource fork and that by opening it in another program that supports QT on a Mac and resaving solves this problem.

Espen