Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Default Rip digi - pt8

I know, i've read ALL the stories on PT8 . Sadly i don't buy anyone's opinion supporting or defending DIGI. Digidesign has treated me and all buyers of PT8 for PPC mac with total disregard and disrespect and poor business practice period. I am not interested in begging a company to do what they should do in the first place without misleading a customer when releasing a product for a start... If it isn't obvious to all involved in such business decisions that they have made serious mistakes, blown their credibility and reputation that i have found in the previous 10 years to be meticulous then there is nowhere to go is there ? the question remains do Digidesign / Avid management have the depth to own up and deliver what should have been done in the first place or will they keep hiding behind the clouds waiting for the sun to deliver them ?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Rip digi - pt8

You can hang on to PPC as long as you like, but really, it's pretty unfair to expect any company to keep dragging along support for an aging and no longer provided processor. It's been what...5 or 6 years now since the switch to intel mac's. Just saying.

Technology marches on and maybe you should consider moving up instead of beating that dead horse.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
I know, i've read ALL the stories on PT8 . Sadly i don't buy anyone's opinion supporting or defending DIGI. Digidesign has treated me and all buyers of PT8 for PPC mac with total disregard and disrespect and poor business practice period. I am not interested in begging a company to do what they should do in the first place without misleading a customer when releasing a product for a start... If it isn't obvious to all involved in such business decisions that they have made serious mistakes, blown their credibility and reputation that i have found in the previous 10 years to be meticulous then there is nowhere to go is there ? the question remains do Digidesign / Avid management have the depth to own up and deliver what should have been done in the first place or will they keep hiding behind the clouds waiting for the sun to deliver them ?
And I'M tired of people placing all the blame on Digidesign...

APPLE dropped support of PPC. This is their own computer and they dropped support for it. Of course software developers are going to follow suit, it only makes sense. But realistically... Any Intel > any PPC. Apple wants you to upgrade, as does Digidesign. The new Macs are far superior in every way, and single core processors are now officially ancient as far as computer systems go.

I understand the frustration, but thinking this has something to do with "owning up" to anything or anyone is really reading too far into it. It's a practical business decision as far as I see it. If you want to play the blame game... point your fingers at Apple for dropping support of their own system in the first place.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM

The planned obsolescence cycle for most corporate IT shops is 3 years. Most consumers typically try to stretch that out to 4-5. If you want to stay current with new software releases for your critical apps, then you must make that hardware investment decision. Going beyond that simply ends up being a commitment of (or bad gamble on) running old software on old hardware.

I'm not suggesting that everyone follow the typical corporate replacement cycle, but if you're using a workstation to run your audio-related business, then you'd better stay aware of the changes in technology and plan accordingly. The warning signs on Apple's abandonment of the PPC architecture have been present since early 2006 whether you chose to ignore them or not.

NL

FWIW, it goes the other way too. I keep an old dual-proc PPC box around for running software to support a couple of old hardware samplers where the manufacturer never updated their sample loading software past OS9.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 PM

I agree. I think when Apple stopped officially supporting PPC with Logic that was really the end of reasonable expectation for any other company to prop it up. The thing with technology is that you have to keep up with progress and expect obsolescence at some point. If anything I'd criticize Digi for NOT keeping abreast with industry trends with their insistence on pushing deliberately crippled, hardware specific LE software but I could never fault them for dropping an obsolete platform.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:32 PM

So why on earth would anyone still be using a PPC????? C'mon 3K for a completly amazing new computer..... why on earth wouldn't someone do that?

Oh yeah, although technology marched on in the computer world, (didn't someone say you have to keep up with technology) the core technology of HD (the cards) has been frozen in time for 10 years. The idea of getting a spiffy new machine and then paying an equal sum just to get the same cards with a new pin out is what I think this is all about. Now if there were an upgraded platform where current HD6 and 7 guys could up their power with a 2 card system (maybe even drop that chassis) I don't think there would be anywhere near this kind of fury.

Just a thought
-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Now if there were an upgraded platform where current HD6 and 7 guys could up their power with a 2 card system (maybe even drop that chassis) I don't think there would be anywhere near this kind of fury.
floods light up the stage

do you really need a new rig though?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
floods light up the stage

do you really need a new rig though?
Need? Nope...... that's why I keep using what I got....

But then again I am a tech addict! Don't care much about fast cars but I like feeling the pulse of as many GFLOPs under my right finger (click) as I can have! NOT buying a new computer every 3 years is what is weird for me

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-20-2010, 08:25 PM

Avid should have made PT8 Intel only or at least made PT8 PPC friendly like PT803 on Snow Leopard.

But here's the reality - The New Economy has barked and has forced the PPC doors shut for good. Kaput. (Don't get angry at me or Avid or even Apple.) This New Economy doesn't allow the old luxuries of artificially extending the life of legacy technologies like during the golden age a few years ago did.

(BTW, are you ever thankful that Digidesign extended the life of HD so far and didn't bring out a new card and interface format on schedule in 2006 or 2007?!? All of our bank accounts would be $10,000 poorer now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syMPh View Post
will they keep hiding behind the clouds waiting for the sun to deliver them ?
The real question is will you keep your head in the clouds, forever waiting for Avid or Apple to deliver a new PPC version of anything at all? Kaput!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM

Yeah, just because they sold something that was supposed to work with PPC machines didn't mean they actually had to deliver it. Stupid PPC users who bought PT8 - what fools you were! Version 8.0.1 sort of works, you got your money's worth.

Right????

Best....H