Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-17-2002, 08:07 AM

Default DP3>OMF>PT

Hi,

Since there is no "002" for the time being, I have to do some live, remote recording and it looks like I am going to have to get an 896 for the time being (absolutely amazing that I have to buy a MOTU product when I use PT, but that is another story) to use with my Ti-book.

My question is this: If I have all the sessions recorded in DP3, then export to OMF, and finally open them in PT, would this work? Has anyone done this and is there any details that I need to know about? Do I need Digitranslator?

I guess that I can do overdubs in the field then with the M Box once everything is in Pro Tools.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:46 AM

Default Re: DP3>OMF>PT

Thought I would bring this back to the top of the thread. Anyone?
Old 01-20-2002, 06:52 AM

First of all i don't think the 896 is shipping yet. I my be wrong but that's my understanding. You may have to go with the 828.

Second I'm certainly no expert as I don't even own PT or DP (yet - I'm here to find out if I should), but I think that there's an additional piece of software needed to accomplish this. It's a Digidesign product that allows PT to import these sessions. I'm not sure though.

Anyone else? How does PT handle effect plugin information?
Old 01-20-2002, 08:36 AM

Hi there,
Pro Tools cant import OMF directly but DP can and can even save the session as OMF. What you need to convert sessions is a program called Digitranslator, this changes OMF files to PT and vice versa, although it costs quite a bit, you can also use another program called OMF tool (I think), I think this is on the digi web site somewhere (sorry, i've forgotten where) and is FREE!!! I've used digitranslator and it works fine going from PT to DP but I haven't used it going the other way. I have never actually used OMF Tool so I cant say how good it works.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:11 AM

I use Digitranslator on a regular basis and it works well, but I think it is around $500. OMF Tool should also work, but I have never tried it.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:16 AM

Omf tool works okay to tranfer dp files saved as omf sessions, but it only tranfers @ 16bit. In order to keep your sessions @ 24 bit you must use digit translator which costs money... Pretty sad, but true [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2002, 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone. That helped alot!

It is a shame that I need a $500 program to import OMF files, but then again, we have to pay for an MP3 option.

Anyways, thanks and I appreciate it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]