Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 09-15-2021, 03:08 AM

Default Will Carbon work with Live11 and Logic

We run 4 Apollo X8p interfaces and they work wit all DAW.

Does carbon work with logic and ableton live etc as a normal Core interface?

I get that the ”HDX” function might not but as a normal working core interface like our X series, will Carbon work stable and normal with other DAW’s than PT?

Thanks as we are buying one asap and this is a deal breaker if Carbon only runs well with Pro Tools Ultimate.

Thanks all for your help on the forum! We need you guys and gals

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-15-2021, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Will Carbon work with Live11 and Logic

All I can say is that I have it working as a normal core audio interface with S1 when I have to use S1.

It works no differently than my other interfaces in that regard.

I MUCH prefer the workflow with Carbon and PT however, but I get your asking.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 09-15-2021, 07:28 AM

Sounds great!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-15-2021, 08:28 AM

Works ok with Logic, but you have less control over routing than you do in PT.

Latency isn't awesome with AVB - USB (at least RME's drivers) and Thunderbolt are both much better than AVB. Playing VI's is workable but I think tracking for singers and drummers is a bit on the edge with Logic. Of course, in PT it's no problem.

Provided you are using the same sample rate, you can leave PT and Logic open at the same time and both use Carbon for playback, at least in my limited testing. If you open a Logic project at the wrong sample rate it will kill PT. But once they're both open it will work.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM

I assume so with those ... It works fine with both Studio One and Reason on my system, and as noted you can have both open and just click back and forth on the GUI window to bring it to front , and that is what will play back through the Carbon and your system sound

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-18-2021, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Works ok with Logic, but you have less control over routing than you do in PT.

Latency isn't awesome with AVB - USB (at least RME's drivers) and Thunderbolt are both much better than AVB. Playing VI's is workable but I think tracking for singers and drummers is a bit on the edge with Logic. Of course, in PT it's no problem.

Provided you are using the same sample rate, you can leave PT and Logic open at the same time and both use Carbon for playback, at least in my limited testing. If you open a Logic project at the wrong sample rate it will kill PT. But once they're both open it will work.
What about using Carbon with soft synth such as Kontact player ? Is anyone having issues with the latency since these are not DSP plugs in PT or using stand alone with the AVB core audio output… how is the playing / feel / latency vibe ?
Old 09-18-2021, 06:09 AM

Thanks Guys! You are awesome!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-18-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
What about using Carbon with soft synth such as Kontact player ? Is anyone having issues with the latency since these are not DSP plugs in PT or using stand alone with the AVB core audio output… how is the playing / feel / latency vibe ?
Unfortunately there is no definitive answer

First it depends entirely on what specific work flow situation you are talking about or using and how much native VI processing your going to have running while trying to record

That said First :::
I think the notion at AVB (itself ) introduces any significant noticeable latency compared to TB or USB3 is a bit misleading I have not seen any actual round trip latency figures for Carbons latency But for example MOTU states 1.6 ms for TB and 1.9 for USB
I am guessing that Carbon is may be more, but the real question is how much more ? 2 ms , 3ms 5 ms. and would those even be noticeable for most people ?

I think the real issue with using VI's is the Native processing latency which I am guessing is going to be more effected by your computers speed, than connection protocol

Personally I have had no issues but my in workflow I am usually not running a bunch of native VI and or tons other native FX and then trying to record audio over that .

I usually record from three to six audio tacks first with the DSP (which is where Carbon shines IMO) then I may record a VI or two over that

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...