Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Pro Tools 10, iLok, and university computer labs

Hello, I teach at a university and the staff that maintains the computer systems in the lab I teach out of is hesitant about installing iloks on the machines. What have other people done, and is there a way to authorize classroom systems like this without iloks? The iloks would certainly be stolen quickly.
Unfortunately there is talk of going back to 8, which I would like to avoid.
Thanks for any input!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10, Ilok, and university computer labs

One option here is to install the iLok internally in the computer.

Best approach is to get a cable that will connect to the USB connection points on the computer motherboard and ends in a normal USB socket.

A cruder option is to plug a cable into a rear USB port and then feed that cable back insider the computer casing through a hole drilled in one of the back-plates.

This is how we've a number of 'portable' USB devices protected from theft at the organisation for whom I work.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwilden View Post
One option here is to install the iLok internally in the computer.

Best approach is to get a cable that will connect to the USB connection points on the computer motherboard and ends in a normal USB socket.

A cruder option is to plug a cable into a rear USB port and then feed that cable back insider the computer casing through a hole drilled in one of the back-plates.

This is how we've a number of 'portable' USB devices protected from theft at the organisation for whom I work.
And if your motherboard does not have free internal USB ports but does have a spare PCI/PCIe slot then you can add a UCB card -- many of which provide on-board/internal USB ports for use inside the PC case (as well as the ports they provide on the back of the card). Often those cards have an internal port you can plug the iLok directly into, but make sure its secure, a thin USB cable off to a location where the iLok is cable tied to something may be more robust.

Obviously if the lab is unsupervised then a thief can open a PC case, and that can be especially easy with some zero-tool designs. Some cases can be secured by a lock or cable, often the same cable used to secure the PC to the desk. Obviously all this is defeatable for a determined thief. You just want to make it easier than pushing one button or pulling one tab opens the case--I've heard of high-end graphics cards and memory DIMMs walking out of computer labs. An (even fake) security camera in the corner of larger/more valuable computer room might help. Make sure your keep track of all the iLoks and report any stolen.

Darryl
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM

the above will work
the other option is to hav lock boxes that the USB cables run into and the box it bolted to the rack or wall.

this lets one have access to the iloks if needed w/o having to open the computer up
something like this on a bigger scale http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Safe/#step1
or this http://www.findtheneedle.co.uk/compa...it-dongle-safe

or you could try this IP server for USB dongles http://www.seh-technology.com/produc...le-server.html

I work in a school with over a 100 system on ilok, were on PT10 and was so glad to get rid of the MBoxes

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM

We have over 100 Pro Tools stations at the school I work for in my day job. We use simple braided security wire with cable ferrules. Take a length of wire that will provide enough for a nice service loop, string the ilok thru one end, pull the wire thru the hole in the pedestal on iMacs or in the Kensington lock post on Mac Pros (or some other secure point - say a rack rail), then put both ends thru the ferrule and crimp. Haven't had one stolen this way, and - with how cheap they are to make - if we need to remove the ilok for service, a snip of the bolt cutters later we're good to go. And we don't need to go into the machine each time we need to service the loks (which is not very often). If the initial loop is long enough, we can get 3-4 uses from one length of wire. Simple, cheap, secure. One roll of wire may cost $100 or so (the ferrules cost pennies each), but that pales in comparison to the value of the locks. Hope this helps!

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM

i have seen this very setup at our local audio tech school... seems very solid.!..

no need to stick iloks inside the box but i've seen that as well.. seems much cleaner
solution just to use security wire...