Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-28-2021, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Apple Macbook Pro - M1 Pro & M1 Max

OWC looked at the M1 series busses last year. The M1 architecture supports 2 full bandwidth TB3 busses. It will be the next version SOC before we see a change.

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/6848...e-m1-mac-mini/
Old 10-29-2021, 09:28 PM

iFixit has a tear down.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/ma...-2021-teardown
Old 10-30-2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy View Post
OWC looked at the M1 series busses last year. The M1 architecture supports 2 full bandwidth TB3 busses. It will be the next version SOC before we see a change.

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/6848...e-m1-mac-mini/
The M1 Pro and M1 Max have three separate TB busses.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:18 AM

So after going through several threads with various people saying PT runs great on M1 vs others saying they're getting stuck when loading plugs. Am I correct in assuming no one here has been able to get PT running on the new M1Pro/Max MacBooks running Monterey? Yes, I'm well aware this is an unsupported system. Just wondering if I should stop trying or if there's something I haven't thought of yet.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapaleo View Post
So after going through several threads with various people saying PT runs great on M1 vs others saying they're getting stuck when loading plugs. Am I correct in assuming no one here has been able to get PT running on the new M1Pro/Max MacBooks running Monterey? Yes, I'm well aware this is an unsupported system. Just wondering if I should stop trying or if there's something I haven't thought of yet.
I have an M1 Max 64/2 with MacOS 12.0.1
Pro Tools plays stuff back through Carbon, no problem.
I haven't tried recording or editing yet.

Dominic
Old 10-30-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I got it to run. Have two finder windows open. Plugins, and plugins unused. Open pro tools. When it gets stuck (actually stuck, some plugins will take up to 30 seconds to pass validation on Loading Plugins the first time) quit PT then drag it to unused. Do for each plugin till you get pro tools to open with no project. THEN go through your unused plugins and see if there are any updates for those. Soothe and Soundtoys were some I needed to do.

Delete those plugins entirely THEN do a fresh install. I had an issue where the installer wasn't overwriting the plugins with the new version.

Once you get that all running with updated plugins, open a project from the open session dropdown in file open session and hold shift to load with all plugins inactive. One by one make them active.If you come across one that beach balls, remove that plugin from used plugins to unused and restart the session again.

I was able to get all my plugins running except repeater, some random T Racks modules and ozone 8 (I have 9 but some old projects used 8)

Also I cant get melodyne to work despite it being supported on both M1 AND Monterey. Have an open support ticket.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the response. I should've said I was able to get 2021.10 to launch, but only with core plugs. The second I added any plug from the First AIR bundle it would hang on launch, I figured since these are Avid plugs I would get the same result with anything else. I tried removing them all and adding one by one and I'd get the same result.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:09 PM

Just a quick FYI. I got my new M1Pro 14"MBP setup last night. I wanted to do some preliminary experiments with Pro Tools, the M1 Pro and Monterey.

So far just a basic install of Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10, stock plugins only, small stem session, Pro Tools Aggregate IO only.

Boots, plays, etc!

Now on to installing plugins, drivers, etc to see what breaks.

Update 1: Waves 13 install-all still good
Update 2: Avid Complete Plugin Bundle - Hangs on Scanning Plugins. Ugh.

Last edited by off the wall; 10-30-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:41 PM

So far I've gotten further than I have prior before giving up. Waves, Sound Toys, and other 3rd party plug-ins are working great. The biggest hangup thus far has been Avid plugs-ins, primarily within the First Air bundle. See the image below for the plug-ins I haven't been able load. Has anyone been able to get X-Form, Pro Subharmonic , or Pro Limiter to load?

Old 10-30-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
So far I've gotten further than I have prior before giving up. Waves, Sound Toys, and other 3rd party plug-ins are working great. The biggest hangup thus far has been Avid plugs-ins, primarily within the First Air bundle. See the image below for the plug-ins I haven't been able load. Has anyone been able to get X-Form, Pro Subharmonic , or Pro Limiter to load?

Basically the same thing here on Monterey. All stock plugs and every third party package I've tried so far load and work, including: Waves 13, UAD, SoundToys, McDSP. As soon as I try to load any of the Avid Plugins included in the Avid Complete Bundle, Pro Tools hangs at loading "DigiRewire". Moving those plugs to unused and all works again.

DigiRewire is a plugin that is actually in the Pro Tools application package and not a separate plug in the plugins folder. I don't exactly know how this plug works but apparently the non stock Avid plugs call this and that is what is locking up. Oh well, I guess it's wait forever how many months Avid takes to make PT work on Monterey before I can use this laptop.

UPDATE: It's more complicated that that single DigiReWire plug in the System Plugins Package within PT. If you remove that, the boot freezes at the next one in that same folder, remove ElasticAudio, it freezes on Heat and so on. Third party and the stock Avid plugins do not have this issue ONLY Avid paid plugins.

Back to 11 year old Mac Pro Tower...

Last edited by off the wall; 10-31-2021 at 10:06 AM.