Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Default Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

I saw it has native support and it said that you can click on the icon and under info you unmark the 32bit option and it boots into 64 by default. i don't think enough plugs are 64 bit yet to run in full 64 bit yet. to my understanding you can run in 32 bit on a 64 bit mac and just uncheck the 32bit box and it will open up and work for both 32 and 64bit.

can anyone verify this?

also i'm about to upgrade to snow leopard finally...does anyone know if the latest protools le for SL has audio core drivers for le that are compatible with logic 9? i'm still at 10.5.8 just to be safe as i have a pretty smooth setup with a api lunchbox and rosetta to a digi 002 for my home studio.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

There is a known problem with the coreMIDI driver that bounces on the dock and prevents third party applications that use MIDI from working properly (Namely Logic). Don't upgrade if you plan to use Logic.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 AM

And be aware of that many things won't work with 64 bit mode, be sure to check out the papers first!

There are many bug fixes too. Many, which I have waited till 9 came out. I wonder if the overall stability is better now, or the usual bug fixes only introduces some more bugs...

It's about namm time, everybody try to give users something.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:14 AM

I installed everything and it's all great so far. checked out logic for the problem mentioned and midi works great no issues there. i know about the draw backs and i only saw one in the list and imo it was worth the trade off. if i find anymore issues as i go through it i will post them on here. same for anyone else give some feedback on how your system is working with this! great day indeed :) I am getting that core midi frame work bouncy thing on reason and that's about the only thing that doesn't work i noticed. i don't really use reason any more though cause it sounds a little cheap so no worries i suppose.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Thumbs up Re: Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

LOGIC 9.1 is up & running like a dream thru my 003. Very solid upgrade from 9.02

This really turns the knife in PT 8. I am genuinely worried that even my Digi LE hardware will become very redundant, very soon as it just doesn't seem possible for it to be as flexible as something as cheap as the PreSonus Firebox?!?

I have always composed using LOGIC and used PTHD for audio post. After ditching my PCI based HD system (for obvious reasons) and using LE and the 003 family for the first time, I was impressed by both the rack and the 003. The sound is great and the build quality is good enough... I parked LOGIC for some time and have really given PT8 a good shake and tried everything to use PT8 exclusively for composition.

Sadly, by doing that I had missed some serious improvements to LOGIC's audio engine and GUI, and now with the native 64bit version, it really does make PT8 feel like a sinking ship.

Clunky hardware communication and even clunkier software.
There's no way I will abandon Pro Tools just yet, but I really feel that there is a more secure feeling owning both.

At the moment it really does feel like the best of both worlds, albeit one world is lot more fun than the other...
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Is there any link where I can see how 003 works with Logic? Because I'm really thinking about starting using it.
Tnks
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Go here to the main Logic forum and search for 003 etc..

http://www.logicprohelp.com/index.php
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 AM

It is nothing spectacular imho. Now they fixed many bugs (I mean many-many), but as I heard it, with these fixes, they introduced new bugs.
In my experience logic could be a very good package, but stability, predictibility, and stable long-term operability are not it's strong points.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 AM

Unhappy Re: Logic 9 goes 64 bit today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
It is nothing spectacular imho. Now they fixed many bugs (I mean many-many), but as I heard it, with these fixes, they introduced new bugs.
In my experience logic could be a very good package, but stability, predictibility, and stable long-term operability are not it's strong points.
I don't understand. Logic seems to have everything that PT users are waiting for... How is that unspectacular?

And PT8 has had more than it's share of fundamental flaws and bugs to put it ahead of any pack?

PT8 seems to be nudging "spectacular failure" at the moment and may go down in history as the Vista of audio software versions...
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianista View Post
I don't understand. Logic seems to have everything that PT users are waiting for... How is that unspectacular?

And PT8 has had more than it's share of fundamental flaws and bugs to put it ahead of any pack?

PT8 seems to be nudging "spectacular failure" at the moment and may go down in history as the Vista of audio software versions...
Well, pt8 is reportedly quite stable, although some has problems. (check out the duc, where 80% of the problems are only plugin compatibilty...)

Logic is still behind in many areas, even behind le in many ways.
-undo mixer movements/adjusments?
-stereo track panning?
-mixer organizing, edit window should follow?
-duplicating multiple tracks at one?
-different solo modes?
just to name a few...

I have logic. I bought logic 8, which has serious showstopper bugs. They didn't ironed out (none of it), but force me to buy version 9, which was buggy as hell too. Now they ironed out many bugs, but as I said, read after it, introduces new bugs too.

Every time I spend serious hours with logic, I aprreciate pro tools (even le) even more than I did.