Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Triple monitor setup

I know I have seen info on this on here before but I have not had any luck finding it with the search function.

I currently run a dual 17" LCD setup using an ATI AGP video card. I am interested in going to three monitors and have searched the web for any single vid card that supports this. So far, only a terribly expensive Matrox Parhelia card fits the bill. I seem to remember a much less expensive suggestion from someone on here regarding using two vid cards as well as a cheaper alternative to the Matrox. I don't need the high end graphics for video games and the like since I will only be running PTLE, some plugs and Reason. I would love to be able to keep the mix and edit screens up on separate monitors (which I do now)and have another screen for Reason. Anyone have any suggestions? Also any links to web sites with info on doing this would be great. I came up essentially empty handed using google and yahoo.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Triple monitor setup

i'm not sure what the actual name of the program. but it may help to point you in the right direction. there is a program that you can install.. (its only 20-30 bucks) that takes another computer and uses that computer to run a monitor. so basically i believe you can run a few monitors in having each computer run a part of the screen. its good if you have an old clunker laying around. nothing acuatually runs off that computer except the monitor program. all the computers are connected through a simple ethernet cord.
hope that helps. its cheaper i'm sure for what you were lookin for i guess.. hope it makes sense
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. If you happen to think of the name of the program I would appreciate you telling me. That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I do happen to have a "clunker" or two lying about that would be useful.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:43 PM

I think this is what you are looking for. MaxiVista

Old 02-10-2006, 12:09 AM

I'm assuming you were refering to the more highend matrox cards, but I can recommend the Matrox p750 if your using it dedicated to Protools and such. This card can be had for about ~$200 (try newegg.com) and supports a 3 monitor configuration.

I've been running one w/ Protools for sometime w/ no issues. I'm currently only using 2 monitors because of desk space, but I've successfully used 3. It also supports a 2 monitor + video out option, although I don't know if this would work w/ video enabled protools. The only potential drawback for some users is partial DirectX implementation (no games, etc), but not a problem at all for a dedicated audio workstation.

oh, it also only supports analog CRT, not 3 DVI... Might be an issue if your LCDs don't support analog. Otherwise I've thought it was useful for the price. Here's the martox page:

Matrox p750

jt
Old 02-10-2006, 03:25 AM

I'm using a P750 on my setup (haven't updated to PT7 yet) with PT6.9cs4 and works great; I'm using it in a dual head + TV configuration out for AV post work, and I can have the QT preview window playng full size on the TV set hooked up to the card; works great; I haven't tried the triple monitor setup yet (haven't had the need), but I guess that it would work with 3 CRT screens or 2 CRT and an analog flat panel; there's many combinations that it can be set up in, so I guess it could fit your needs.

Hope this helps

L.G.