Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Pro Tools = Very Non-user friendly Interface

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Pro Tools software interface is the most un-user friendly and unintuitive program to use of all of these types of programs. My best guess is that there is a corporate technical dweeb that is coding the interface with neato little things to make their boss happy but he or she actually doesn't use it.

As an example, something as easy as deleting a track should be accomplished simply by right clicking on the track and choosing delete track. I've imported my drum files into an audio track and I can't for the life of me make them sync in time. Hell, I cannot even simpy stretch them to extend them into furthur measures. I have to duplicate them. What a pain. All I'v eheard is that everyone uses this program, but quite honestly I haven't been that impressed with the difficulty and extra tasks to use it.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools = Very Non-user friendly Interface

You aren't going to get very much help with that kind of post. It's a bit like going on a dog-lover site and saying "dog's are crap aren't they, I beat mine with a stick several times a day and it still sh*ts on the damn carpet, what is a man to do?"

Take some time to get your head around the programme. It's pretty simple. All there is to it is an excellent virtual mixer and a really easy and intuitive edit window. If you want to speed things up, read up on shortcuts and key commands.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:57 PM

Pro Tools is a great program, and only getting better with every new version. Sounds like you may have some good suggestions for future versions.... but a positive approach is always better received than ranting. Don't get me wrong - we've all ranted and raved, and later wished that we had chilled a bit : )

I just discovered some neat training that was easy to learn from, and very informative. I've been using PT for years, and this training was still killer to watch - I learned a lot over the weekend.

http://www.grooveboxmusic.com/store/home.php?

I'll bet that if you invest some learning time in to PT software you'll find all kinds of things that you like.

I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more right-clicking options my self. I suspect the lack of right-clicking options is due to the developers probably being Mac users, and just not big right-clickers... I doubt if it's a corporate technical dweeb thing : )
Old 11-27-2005, 07:11 PM

The really funny thing about posts like this is the fact that PT is EXTREMELY easy to use and intuitive. I'm not a computer DAW guy at all, I'm old school. But I was up and running and had a basic grasp of PT on the very first day I used it. The only program more simplified is Tracktion, and there was some stuff I was figuring out how to do on the second day.

I've spent a ton of time with other programs and none of them, zero, are as straightforward as PT. Especially given the sound and power that PT provides. It's like a kid saying the alphabet is hard. But once they wrap their heads around it, they know it without even thinking about it. PT is almost that easy right out the box. I'd say if you're coming from another platform, you have to unlearn that way of working, and you'll see how intuitive it is.
Peace
Old 11-27-2005, 07:12 PM

I agree with protein and finalcut here ... and you should really read the manual ... it helps, alot.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:14 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you PROBABLY just got your rig and out of excitement , havent taken the time to sit down and use the OWNERS MANUAL or read any help files.
This may help in your quest to get your drum tracks corrected and other mistakes you might make on the way. If you are trying to get drum tracks from a drum machine or any other type of sequencer, how about using the midi beat clock to sync up your gear, this could help. If you take the time to READ instead of coming in here bitching you might have known that by now. What I suggest is that you return whatever it is you bought (m-box, 002, whatever) get your money back and buy something a little more YOUR speed. The word "PRO" is short for "PROFESIONAL" which suggests that this program is intended for people of a higher caliber than yourself. It is people that dont try to work on their craft and dont try to learn this excellent program that end up bashing it. People like yourself for instance. Why dont you check out the EJAY series or ACID screenblast. These may be more your speed.
This is the last place you need to be if you want to bitch about PRO TOOLS.
Then again...I could be wrong.
db
Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 PM

finalcut

I see that they have PT 7 training in the pipeline. Finally I get to understand Region Looping

filosofem

Old 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM

It's all designed quite logically. I find it outstanding.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Well, I myself had PT down in an hour. And this was after using Cubase, Logic and all the rest for years. With basically only a mix and edit window, and 6 tools that are used in both midi and audio, how much easier can it be?

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-27-2005, 07:58 PM

Ha PT Rulz...nuff said

and a dream....................

My Studio

http://www.bleedstreetstudio.com