Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Dedicated Custom ProTools Comp - Advice needed

Hey everyone...I can't believe I just found this forum after 3 months of owning my Digidesign gear! I have been having all kinds of annoying issues with my current (nondedicated) computer and my MBox2 which is not the point of this post so I won't go into that. However, it has inspired me to start making plans to do a complete system overhaul over the next few months and I want to make sure my new computer is "future-proofed" against future annoyances.

The only part of this new computer that is set in stone as of now is the CPU/motherboard...as I am getting an insanely good deal on both components (new). Intel isn't exactly my first pick...but I guess we take what we can get, eh?

CPU: Intel Pentium D 820
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium_D/

Mobo: Intel Motherboard D945PSN
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945psn/

I know that there are certain hardware conflicts that exist with the Digi hardware/software and would appreciate a second opinion assuring me that I am on the right course with my research and logic.

As for the other options:
- I have access to Windoze XP Home or Pro...Service Packs 1 or 2 on each. Is either more stable than the other?
- I plan on using 2GB of 240pin DDR2 SDRAM (1GB stick x 2)
- I will have 2 hard drives: a dedicated System drive for Windoze, and a separate audio drive
- Both hard drives will be at least 7200rpm SATA drives, though I eventually plan on making both drives the 10,000rpm Western Digital Raptors (SATA).
- There will be no software other than ProTools/plugins/audio related items installed on the computer
- The computer will not ever be plugged into a network connection, nor will it ever have a sound card (other than the onboard audio)

One tangent question before I wrap things up: Does it matter if the onboard sound and ethernet ports are enabled or disabled? I would think that simply not using them would be good enough, but who knows how Windows handles IRQs anymore.

The final thing that concerns me is that I eventually plan on upgrading my recording interface to a 002 + Presonus Digimax96 or eqivalent so that I can do live recordings. I, like several others here, are probably sick of seeing the "Operating system has held off interrupts for too long..." messages. Opinions as to whether this 'fantasy machine' can handle such a task will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading my excruciatingly long post. I promise your feedback will not go unappreciated!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Dedicated Custom ProTools Comp - Advice needed

Here's some really great advice: skip the intel and go for AMD x2 Dual Core.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-17-2006, 05:58 PM

Oh, believe me...there is nothing that I would love to own more than an X2. I have been drooling over them since they released and that was what I was alluding to when I mentioned the Pentium wasn't my first pick. However, like those crazy stupid deals at supermarkets (like 10 gallons of milk for only $10!!!1) I am just getting too good of a price for the Pentium D ($240 for the chip, mobo, copy of XP Pro, and Photoshop Elements).

However, sonce I am locked into that part of my computer I would like to get some feedback on that route.

But spk, if you feel really bad for me, I'll gladly accept an X2 as a present!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM

I wouldn't call you an idiot, but when you find out what is likely in store for you, you will call youself one. No amount of money is worth the weeks and months of hell some people on here go through due to incompatibility issues. If you're strapped, build an under $600 Allen Hallada computer. I've got one of those and it's awesome. AMD is the way to go for PT. Take advantage of the bulk of experience on here.

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 02-17-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call you an idiot, but when you find out what is likely in store for you, you will call youself one. No amount of money is worth the weeks and months of hell some people on here go through due to incompatibility issues. If you're strapped, build an under $600 Allen Hallada computer. I've got one of those and it's awesome. AMD is the way to go for PT. Take advantage of the bulk of experience on here.
Amen brother.

GeneralChaos,

You logged on to this forum to get advice from those that have been here for a while. Take the advice. Buy something that is known to work and work well when you need it.
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 02-18-2006, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Dedicated Custom Pro Tool Comp - Advice needed

Looking over your list I don't see anything that is known to be incompatible with PTLE or Digidesign hardware. It should work good for you unless I overlooked something.

It would be hard for most of us to pass up an offer like that I know, but I gotta throw my .02 cents worth in as well on the AMD system. AMD's have been great performers with PT and PTLE. I would guess that the majority of the frequent posters here run AMD (some more than others Shan....) If you are looking to "future-proof" your machine you would be better served by going with one of the AMD x2's. Lot more money, but more time before obsolescence. I am currently using the older Allenstein machine with the AMD XP 2500+ OC'd to 3200 XP specs and it runs like a top. I am just now starting to record some tunes that are taxing the CPU some so an upgrade to an x2 is in my immediate future.

Regarding the onboard and unused ports....I disable everything I don't use in the BIOS so there is no chance of a conflict. My PT machine is not networked, isn't on the internet and the only software is PTLE and related programs. Been pretty stable until recently with the 7.0 upgrade. I have had a little weirdness at PT startup that I am trying to sort out, otherwise it's been a champ!

Hope this helps. (I did try to answer some of your questions)

Oh, and welcome to the DUC!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Ugh....you guys suck. (And I mean that in a friendly way).

Thanks for totally swaying me to the light side.

Thanks for helping me justify spending money that I don't have.

You have planted the seed and it blossomed immediately. It looks like I will be getting an X2 then...since I really DO want this computer to be as future proof as possible. Perhaps I can sell the Intel bundle to my dad and build a new comp for him and put that money toward the AMD processor.

Traditionally I have stuck with Abit and MSI motherboards. Anything to worry about there...or anything better for a DAW on the market?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:35 AM

You could save yourself alot of trouble by simply looking at the best desktops thread above.
It all spelled out there.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Traditionally I have stuck with Abit and MSI motherboards. Anything to worry about there...or anything better for a DAW on the market?
Build this and be happy. It doesnt get any better unless you go with a Quad.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-19-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Build this and be happy. It doesnt get any better unless you go with a Quad.

Shane
All that stuff has been tested repeatedly on real user's machines and in real world applications so you can be assured of getting the best compatibility. The speed you will acquire goes without saying. Good luck and welcome the the Light Side of the DUC!