Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-30-2021, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Are my internal NVMe drives causing PT to crash when recording multiple tracks?

Yeah, actually I am having the exact same problem quoted by loud neighbor, which is “pro tools locks up, os hangs, hard restart”, and we happen to be using the same computer and the same OWC internal drive…..but thanks for correcting me. Obviously “exact” is the keyword but who knows what the cause is that’s what I’m here for . This is why I shy away from message boards😐😐. We are all just here trying to get our problem solved so we can get back to working immediately.

Loudneighbor, please let me know if you have fixed your issue and how you fixed it.

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-30-2021, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Are my internal NVMe drives causing PT to crash when recording multiple tracks?

It should hopefully take you tens of minutes to test a session on the internal boot drive. That would be a useful test that the OWC drive is indeed the problem. Have you done that? Have you done any other troubleshooting?
Old 01-10-2022, 10:21 AM

I had the same problem as the original Loud Neighbor post. Only happened when recording - and Pro Tools wouldn't crash - it would just hang. I'd be forced to shut down manually by holding down power button - even if I chose "shut down" it would hang forever in limbo not shutting down. Force-quitting PT didn't help either - I couldn't restart the program without manually powering down the whole computer (PT would just bounce forever in the dock without opening up).

Another drag about it was that I'd often end up with corrupt files in my Audio Files folder - the last things written - they'd come through as unknown documents (empty page icon) rather than wavs. That said they were easy to find and delete if you viewed the file by 'date created'.

I sent this into Avid tech support but we couldn't find a solution. It didn't help that PT wasn't 'crashing' as far as it knew - so no crash logs were being generated.
I then sent this into Apple tech support - they asked questions about my "SoftRaid" program (since that seemed to be at the root of it). SoI finally got in touch with OWC and they walked me through a solution.

I've got a '4.0TB OWC Accelsior 4M2 PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD' as my PT sessions write-drive and it was running SoftRaid.

Solution For Me:
It meant giving up some speed, but using the SoftRaid app I simply turned the 4TB into 4-1TB drives. (so no raid running). I deleted the app as well from my applications folder. (not the extensions though).

I've not had the problem since.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetar777 View Post
Yeah, actually I am having the exact same problem quoted by loud neighbor, which is “pro tools locks up, os hangs, hard restart”, and we happen to be using the same computer and the same OWC internal drive…..but thanks for correcting me. Obviously “exact” is the keyword but who knows what the cause is that’s what I’m here for . This is why I shy away from message boards😐😐. We are all just here trying to get our problem solved so we can get back to working immediately.

Loudneighbor, please let me know if you have fixed your issue and how you fixed it.

Thank you in advance!
Hi Geetar,

Apologies for the slow response.

Sadly, no, I haven't resolved this issue. I've been using my super awesome $1800 NVMe "work" drive as a glorified back-up drive as well as for hosting some larger mix sessions where the "read" part of the equation seems to be working. Doing all tracking on external (T3) Samsung 4TB SSD's. Giving CCC a workout transferring sessions around and backing up to spindles.

I've contacted OWC who suggested reformatting it as individual drives to eliminate the RAID question, which is something Marsdy suggested in this thread as well. I wager that would fix it since the RAID complexity would be eliminated. I just don't have time to do this right now and would hate to see all of those drives scattered across the desktop but will try it whenever the skies clear and report back.

Thanks for everyone's input on this - greatly appreciate the helpful comments.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:47 AM

Thanks Mark42 and loudneighbor! Looks like you have at least indetified the issue, I’ve been losing my mind over this. I’ll contact OWC again. Much appreciated!

It’s been a while, but I’ve been an O.G. member of this DUC since 2000-ish and it always come through!
Old 03-01-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark42 View Post
I had the same problem as the original Loud Neighbor post.

Solution For Me:
It meant giving up some speed, but using the SoftRaid app I simply turned the 4TB into 4-1TB drives. (so no raid running). I deleted the app as well from my applications folder. (not the extensions though).

I've not had the problem since.
Somehow I missed your post Mark42. Good to know that running them as individual drives fixed this for you.

I'm curious if you and geetar777 have noticed the recent update to SoftRaid? The release notes on 6.2.1 mention the following:

"• Fixes occasional kernel panic with prolonged i/o to a SoftRAID volume which uses NVMe blades."

The middle schooler in me giggled at "prolonged i/o".... I'm no computer whiz but this sounds like they may be addressing our issue here?

I've updated SoftRaid to 6.2.1 but have not tried recording to my NVMe drive yet (which is still set up as one 8TB drive using RAID 0) but will do that soon and report back.

Thanks again to the DUC community for the constructive help.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:51 PM

Quick follow up to my last post.

SoftRaid 6.2.1 did not fix the issue. Tracking drums today onto the 8TB NVMe drive and had the same PT hang / OS hard restart issue.

Oh well. Back to recording to the external SSD and the eventual break-up of the 8TB drive into individual blades plan.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
Quick follow up to my last post.

SoftRaid 6.2.1 did not fix the issue. Tracking drums today onto the 8TB NVMe drive and had the same PT hang / OS hard restart issue.

Oh well. Back to recording to the external SSD and the eventual break-up of the 8TB drive into individual blades plan.
Have you tried Apple RAID Assistant assuming it works with the OWC card?
Old 03-07-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Have you tried Apple RAID Assistant assuming it works with the OWC card?
I have not. I will look into that. Appreciate the suggestion - I'd love a solution that doesn't involve breaking up the drive into smaller bits.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:51 AM

Based on Dave (Marsdy's) excellent recommendation I'm taking the loss of speed over the wondrous drag race of Raid 0 - and it's crashes - for my Pro Tools sessions. I figure at 1500 gb/s it's still faster than SATA SSD and more than fast enough for Pro Tools data. Of course, I won't know till the Mac Studio Ultra finally arrives and I put it all together!!!
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com