Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Default 192 I/O Just blown up!!!

I've just tried to power up my 192 I/O and it just made a huge POP sound, a blue flash of light from the righthand side, and now won't power up.

NATURALLY, my warranty period is over, as with all equipment and the store I bought it from went bust a year ago!

Any ideas of what to do?

I've tried a new power cable, changed the fuse in the old one, no joy.

Anyone know where I can take it to be repaired in London at a reasonable cost. Strapped for cash at the moment so the timing is just PERFECT!!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Re: 192 I/O Just blown up!!!

Check for a fuse if it's blown replace it with the same value. Last time I did a out of warranty repair Digi charged $350.00 USD for a flat rate repair that included Fed-Ex return shipping. I got it back in 3 days.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Replaced the fuses, but I've opened it up and there are pieces of charred black little bitss lying about.
Had a look around and one of the little black elements near the power supply has blown...

Thing is, on opening it up, the blue power cable wire wasn't properly connected, I'm wondering if this has had an effect?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Digi has a flat rate for repairs, regardless of what's wrong. I shorted out an AD/DA card, fried the card. Digi charged me 200.00 and replaced it. I was happy, but shocked. Call them and ask.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:00 AM

Does anyone know the rating for resister R1 on the power supply?

Mine just pop'd recently, although it still powered up and worked normally.

Upon taking out the power supply and turned on the power, the pop was louder and I can see flesh on the resister R1. need to have it replaced.

Thanks & Regards,
ncp
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 AM

Mine blew this morning AGAIN

The number of replacement units I've had since buying them early 2007 will be about 7 or 8 now I think. always the same problem, R1 goes, eventually POP. Dead.

Nothing else blows in our studio, just the 192's. Tried asking tech support but to be fair to them, they're not electricians and don't really have any way of knowing what could be causing it. They're always helpful and send me a new one which usually arrives within a day or two as I'm on the hardware assurance program.

Still, I'm now resorting to having all of the electrics in the building replaced with new wiring as I'm at my wits end. No fuses blow on our brand new fuseboard either. Seriously horrible situation to try and troubleshoot.

In short, buy the hardware assurance. If it happens once, it is likely to keep happening. It's cheaper than the amount of repairs we would have to fork out for (especially when you factor in shipping broken units)

And if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this then please feel free to chime in.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:40 AM

This is very interesting...on one of my 192 i/o that exact resistor blew a couple of months ago. But the interface still worked fine most of the time.

I recently opened the box, since there were parts of the ceramic housing of that resistor floating around the box. If you turn on the interface you can see a little spark going out from that resistor. That spark will damage the resistor even further, so you should insulate that resistor with a rubber tube.

I don't know the rating of that resistor, since it's illegible even on a resistor in good condition. I have a replacement power supply on it's way.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 AM

Wow!! In all my years of selling these things that's the first I've ever heard of this happening----kind of scary, actually.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 AM

This is what is known as Planned Obsolescence. Enjoy.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 AM

If the resistor code can't be read on a new one, unsolder it, measure the resistance with a ohm meter and replace it with the same value but double the wattage rating.
That's what I would do anyway.