Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Why does my iLok software have to up to date to run Pro Tools 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Completely disagree.

1.) This has never been this way until Pro Tools 2018.
2.) Out of the 100 or so iLok licenses I have, Pro Tools is the only one that now does this. The software is supposed to depend on the actual license, not the licensing utility manager. If my internet happened to go out while Pro Tools decides it wants me to update, I'd be screwed an unable to work until my internet is restored. This is completely stupid given I have a PHYSICAL license.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Again, BS. This has never been a requirement until Pro Tools 2018. The physical license is NOT controlled by the software. The software only TRANSFERS the license to the iLok. Avid recently added some extra crap in there that checks for iLok manager version. I have Slate (also subscription), Antares, Soundtoys, AIR, Eventide, etc, and none of this software requires iLok Manager be up-to-date to use.
I agree, additionally, unfortunately, I’m less inclined to even pay attention to Daryl anymore, he’s always confrontational and loves to talk to people like they are stupid.

You make excellent points, I would be equally upset.
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Come again?!?! You're saying that ProTools has quit in the middle of a session because it needed iLok software to be updated? I've never in my life experienced that, even now with 2018.x.

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 06-12-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
I agree, additionally, unfortunately, I’m less inclined to even pay attention to Daryl anymore, he’s always confrontational and loves to talk to people like they are stupid.

You make excellent points, I would be equally upset.

And you are adding value here how? I am pretty fed up with your whiney special child attitude and having to tiptoe around answering your questions
on DUC. And when I help you you say nothing but occasionally if you are misunderstanding something you refuse to listen and carry on like a petulant child.... like this post. Are you a teenager? God know how you get on with people in a work environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Completely disagree.

1.) This has never been this way until Pro Tools 2018.
2.) Out of the 100 or so iLok licenses I have, Pro Tools is the only one that now does this. The software is supposed to depend on the actual license, not the licensing utility manager. If my internet happened to go out while Pro Tools decides it wants me to update, I'd be screwed an unable to work until my internet is restored. This is completely stupid given I have a PHYSICAL license.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Again, BS. This has never been a requirement until Pro Tools 2018. The physical license is NOT controlled by the software. The software only TRANSFERS the license to the iLok. Avid recently added some extra crap in there that checks for iLok manager version. I have Slate (also subscription), Antares, Soundtoys, AIR, Eventide, etc, and none of this software requires iLok Manager be up-to-date to use.

The iLok technology as used by Pro Tools in recent releases is *not* just an iLok dongle that the application software directly interfaces with. The ILM package is both the application you see and driver technology that goes between the iLok and the application. It had had the ability through the ILM to remote revoke licenses, to automatically update license, and I would expect to do other anti-piracy things that I won't speculate on publicly. Some of that likely requires the ILM to be up to minimal revisions at certain times. There has been points in time in the past where minimal ILM versions were required for Pro Tools, like the transition to iLok 2 with Pro Tools. It may have been less visible in some cases by the ILM updates being bundled with Pro Tools. And you may find some of the other software you use does actually have minimal revisions of ILM, even if the vendors don't always explain it clearly, e.g. in the past SoundToys has certainly required ILM updates to work correctly.

I understand you are upset, but my point is Avid is all-in with Pace/iLok licensing and the ILM and updates are therefore an integral part of their system. I am not defending that or saying they are right, but it is how it is, and they seem very committed to and dependent in the whole suite of Pace/iLok capabilities. Older software or other vendors may not be using those licensing features and their software therefore behaves differently with the ILM. Avid has made that commitment to Pace/iLok and likely need to do what they are doing if they want to securely support cloud licenses, rental licenses, have additional anti-piracy protection etc. I just expect complaining about the need for an up to date ILM which is central to these modern capabilities won't get you far.

On the other hand if the ILM update is messing up a running session, that is *awful*. Its a bug that should be fixed and I want to encourage you to report it as so, to separate that issue from your other frustration about ILM... in the chance that it will then get attention and get fixed. You might get maximum attention on the messing with a session issue by asking if other users have seem that behavior... I personally have never. But if others have I expect everybody here will be wanting to see that bug fixed asap.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Come again?!?! You're saying that ProTools has quit in the middle of a session because it needed iLok software to be updated? I've never in my life experienced that, even now with 2018.x.
Yes. It did it when I first made this thread and again when I resurrected it. Both times a couple weeks after iLok Manager updates.

What happens is it randomly decides ILM needs to be updated. It then prompts you to save the session or quit. When you press save it saves and just quits. Then you cannot relaunch Pro Tools until you update ILM.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 06-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The iLok technology as used by Pro Tools in recent releases is *not* just an iLok dongle that the application software directly interfaces with. The ILM package is both the application you see and driver technology that goes between the iLok and the application. It had had the ability through the ILM to remote revoke licenses, to automatically update license, and I would expect to do other anti-piracy things that I won't speculate on publicly. Some of that likely requires the ILM to be up to minimal revisions at certain times. There has been points in time in the past where minimal ILM versions were required for Pro Tools, like the transition to iLok 2 with Pro Tools. It may have been less visible in some cases by the ILM updates being bundled with Pro Tools. And you may find some of the other software you use does actually have minimal revisions of ILM, even if the vendors don't always explain it clearly, e.g. in the past SoundToys has certainly required ILM updates to work correctly.

I understand you are upset, but my point is Avid is all-in with Pace/iLok licensing and the ILM and updates are therefore an integral part of their system. I am not defending that or saying they are right, but it is how it is, and they seem very committed to and dependent in the whole suite of Pace/iLok capabilities. Older software or other vendors may not be using those licensing features and their software therefore behaves differently with the ILM. Avid has made that commitment to Pace/iLok and likely need to do what they are doing if they want to securely support cloud licenses, rental licenses, have additional anti-piracy protection etc. I just expect complaining about the need for an up to date ILM which is central to these modern capabilities won't get you far.

On the other hand if the ILM update is messing up a running session, that is *awful*. Its a bug that should be fixed and I want to encourage you to report it as so, to separate that issue from your other frustration about ILM... in the chance that it will then get attention and get fixed. You might get maximum attention on the messing with a session issue by asking if other users have seem that behavior... I personally have never. But if others have I expect everybody here will be wanting to see that bug fixed asap.

Perhaps. But in the past the only time I ever update ILM was when I bought a new plugin and needed to update the software to transfer the license. There were times I went nearly a year without updating ILM and Pro Tools never cared.

Anyway, I don’t actually expect them to change this. I just want to complain about it.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 PM

What version of iLok were you running before it shut down? Was it several versions out-of-date, like from years ago?

I've never had this happen before. I don't necessarily rush to update iLok when there is a new version, but I do get around to it within a few weeks or months.

If PT 2018 did this to a relatively recent version of iLok, I would agree that this is inappropriate.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 PM

Curious as well what version you had installed at the time. Any chance you can share the exact dialog text or a screenshot? There was a change back in August 2017 which was noted in Tech Alerts, in the KB, and on iLok.com that required an iLok update, so can look into this to see if there was something similar for 2018 versions.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:27 AM

So when I first made this thread, I had the first version of ILM that introduced cloud licensing. When I resurrected this thread the other day, I had the prior version installed to the most recent. Now I have the most recent. So when pro tools gives me this error, I’m always only one version behind. Didn’t take a screenshot tho. I will next time.

Seems like when a new version of ILM releases, the previous version eventually expires. I got this error on 6/11. The most current ILM released on 5/29. So it seems it expires after about 2 weeks, which is ridiculous.

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 AM

I suspect it would have taken less time to simply install the iLok software update than to type several rants.