Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2002, 04:02 AM

Default Can\'t get good levels (Allen Hallada, Digi Support, are you there?)

Hey, folks!

I posted this problem to the main Windows board a few days ago. (See http://duc .digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=32&t=006070 Stone Knife and I have been thrashing it out, to no avail, so he suggested I post over here, too, to catch some of the more hard-core computer people. He called Allen Halada out by name, and suggested I do the same.

Here's what's going on. I'm having a really hard time getting decent recording levels on my Digi001. With a mic plugged into the front input, the gain almost all the way up, and my mouth right up against the mic, I can get a decent level. With my synths (Roland JV-1010 and Alesis NanoSynth) plugged into the rear inputs, the volume turned all the way up, the internal gain sliders all the way up (+7dB), and pounding on the keyboard, I get a decent level, but never hot enough to clip. Anything less gives me, well, less.

My computer:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Athlon 1800
<LI>Asus A7V233-E
<LI>MSI GeForce 3 Ti200
<LI>Wacom Graphire USB tablet/mouse
<LI>Midiman 4x4 USB MIDI interface
<LI>Windows ME[/list]
The Digi is on IRQ5, all by itself. I originally had it on 10, but it conflicted wiht the built-in sound card. I've tried disabling the built-in sound, and setting the Digi as the preferred device in the Control Panel, to no effect.

I've also tried re-seating all the appropriate cables, both from synth to Digi and from Digi to computer. Again, no change.

What else should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help!
CCP
Old 04-03-2002, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Can\'t get good levels (Allen Hallada, Digi Support, are you there?)

Did you turn phantom power on for that mic? The little red button next to the XML connectors.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Can\'t get good levels (Allen Hallada, Digi Support, are you there?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by znelson:
Did you turn phantom power on for that mic? The little red button next to the XML connectors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. It's a dynamic mic. No power needed.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:44 AM

I would try the phantom power anyway on the dynamic. Just don't use it on certain ribbon mics. If you have a friend that has a condenser tube mic with its own power supply I would also recommend giving it a try on your system.

Allen
Old 04-03-2002, 01:19 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
I would try the phantom power anyway on the dynamic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll give that a try tonight.

Any suggestions on the rear inputs? Stone Knife's opinion is that I shouldn't have to turn everything all the way up and pound on the keyboard to get a decent level.

CCP
Old 04-03-2002, 07:23 PM

Sorry, but if this produces different results you definetly have a hardware problem.
Applying Phantom power will have nothing to do with your gain structure when using a dynamic mic.
It won't harm a dynamic, but it certainly won't help.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
I would try the phantom power anyway on the dynamic. Just don't use it on certain ribbon mics. If you have a friend that has a condenser tube mic with its own power supply I would also recommend giving it a try on your system.

Allen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-03-2002, 09:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JMS40:
Sorry, but if this produces different results you definetly have a hardware problem.
Applying Phantom power will have nothing to do with your gain structure when using a dynamic mic.
It won't harm a dynamic, but it certainly won't help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought, too. Still, I tried it, and there was no difference.

I'm really getting stumped...
Old 04-04-2002, 08:42 PM

I've had a few issues with volume levels, but none as serious as yours. I would try a couple more things to double check your signal path. Try your mic into an external mixer, then out into input 3-4. When your meters on your mixer are showing signal ( say LED's on a Mackie), do your channel strip bars show the same levels? If not, try running a S/PDIF digital signal ( say from a CD player) into a channel strip and see what strength it shows. If both are weak, you might either have a bad power supply on your computer, or you have a kaput chip in your break out box, or sound card. Most likely the later. Probably time to get a spec and check on both. Hope this helps, good luck.

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2002, 05:40 PM

now, i'm no expert. i don't have a digi001.. but when you adjust the input level on your computer, i assume you're doing that under "recording properties" and not "playback properties", right? It won't do any good if you adjust the playback properties.
13 gb ata-66 (i think) 7200 rpm
30 gb ata-100 7200 rpm
Leadtek GeFoce2mx
it all seems to work pretty well, especially for the price.