Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Don't drink and drive II

I posted 23 months ago that my wife of 24 years was killed by a hit and run drunk driver (later caught)
The trial is over and even though the person was facing 67 years (she put a friend in the hospital for 3months too in the same accident) she got 2 1/2 years. It is not something anyone wants to go through, believe me.

Please don't drink and drive.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Don't drink and drive II

Wowww; Man I'm very sorry to hear that on both accts; they happening as well as the sentencing; that has to be just as hard knowin she'll only be there maybe a yr or less...

A friend of mine, jus this year was very close to losing his mother from a drunk driver(head on collision); she has barely it made to this point but still goin thru a lot 5mths later...

Anywayz, again man, so sorry to hear both of those things & Good message to keep alive...

U never kno who needs to see things like this @ the rite moment...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM

I remember that post. I never replied at the time, but I full well can understand your sentiment considering the cost you've had to bear due to the irresponsibility of another. You are not alone.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Condolences on both accounts from me as well.

While not the reason I stopped drinking, it's not drinking and driving that is one of the reasons I continue not to drink. I'm the designated driver and am quite happy to be the one to make sure others don't get behind the wheel when they've been imbibing.

The laws should be far more severe than the "justice" that is currently handed out. Many here in Ontario flaunt the law and continue to drink and drive after being caught, charged and their licence taken away, some are caught DUI many times in a short period of time. Maybe it's time for the breathalyzer/ignition option to be mandatory.

Gingerale and lime please, I have to make sure my friends get home safely.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Amen! Its a sad state of affairs that people STILL do stupid things like driving under the influence. I feel your pain as I lost a sister in law many years ago.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2010, 04:39 AM

My Condolences Bender. This is not right at all.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 AM

My condolences.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Sorry, to hear that!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Sounds like the application of the law in Wisconsin is as screwy as it is here in Michigan. Recently a woman driving drunk killed a man walking down a road and fled the scene, she was only given 6 months plus probation. Now if it were a man who committed this I know he would have been sentenced to multiple years...

May karma bring the justice your wife deserves.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Sorry to hear that, 2-1/2 years is not enough time to serve for murdering someone. What bugs me the most about this is the system is set up to create repeat offenders. I got a DWI about 13 years ago, and some of the "classes" they sent me to were unbelievable... like giving you a credit card sized reference sheet to carry in you wallet that explained how many drinks it would take you to drink before you were over the limit based on your body weight. They should be trying to get people to to stop drinking. If you get a DWI I think that it's a pretty good reason to say you have a problem, and should not be drinking. Telling people it's okay to go to the bar and keep track of how many drinks they had so they don't go over the limit is just encouraging people to try and get another DWI, and putting everyone else on the road at risk.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?