Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Default Plug-In Bundle

I am needing to upgrade my studio across the board, and one of the things I know I need to upgrade are my plug-ins. I have basic Digi Plugs, and the Factory bundle.

Questions are.....

How much quality difference is there between some of the cheaper plug-ins and say Waves plug-ins?
Are the emulations of hardware devices accurate (ie Waves API Bundle)?
What is a good investment to make for my first plug-in bundle?
(things Im considering...Waves Renn Max, Waves Power Pack, Waves API, Waves SSL or McDSP)

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Plug-In Bundle

Okay, I guess this one is too subjective.....
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM

I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I ended up buying the Waves Native Power Pack. Now I don't use anything else. Granted, it wasn't cheap and you pay a support fee each year. I don't use anything else now. Their Q equalizer is by far the easiest and cleanest paragraphic EQ I have seen. I have used the Ultramaximizer, the S1 stereo imager, and the IR-L convolution reverb and I love them all.

I'm sure there will be those that like competing products and I don't want to start a flame war here ...

The NPP is well worth the money in my opinion and it is a purchase I don't regret.

The ONLY thing I can say that I do not like about waves is their online support. It absolutely sucks. This Digi forum is one of the best I have seen but the waves one isn't kept up to date very well and good luck getting an answer from them. The good news is, I have only had an occasion to use their forum once or twice. The products work well.

That's my 2 cents worth ...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I have the RennMax bundle - sounds great, easy to use, all of the settings make sense.

The Rchannel is a great tool to have per channel (I know, DUH)

Regularly use the Rverb and Rcomp. Don't use the Rbass.

All in all, a great multipurpose set of plug ins.

They just work and sound great.

Hope this helps.