Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 06:15 PM

Default protools crashing on startup help please

I need some help. I am running 10.3.5, I know it's not qualified, BUT, all was working fine until I upgraded to the latest core audio driver. Now PT crashes upon launch and goes to the dreaded half dark monitor with the multi language warning about restarting your computer. I have read a couple of threads that say to downgrade my os, but does anyone know of an easier fix. I'll thank you all in advance.

the audioczar

dual 1.2
1 gig ram
oo2 rack
pt 6.4
Old 09-26-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Re: protools crashing on startup help please

Quote:
PT crashes upon launch and goes to the dreaded half dark monitor with the multi language warning about restarting your computer
That is a kernel panic, and the most common causes for that are hardware related. Are you sure all your RAM is good and seated properly? are there any other non-standard pieces of hardware (video cards, whatever) present in your system?

It's one thing for Pro Tools to crash, but the very worst that should happen is that you get a message saying "The Application 'Pro Tools' has unexpectedly quit"

If you are seeing a kernel panic, then there is something else evil lurking - that is not just due to Pro Tools.

For example, I have a "Sawtooth" AGP 400 MHz G4 tower. I added a dual-500 MHz G4 processor upgrade. Initially I used to get kernel panics from time to time; I made sure the new CPU daughter card was seated properly, and the heat sink put on correctly, and have never seen the problem again (touch wood).

Not sure that helps you much, but the bottom line is that if your system is healthy (HW and OS wise), you absolutely shouldn't see any kernel panic due to anything Pro Tools alone could be responsible for.

Mark
Reason 3.0.4
MOTU 828
Logic Express 8.0.0
Garage Band 4.1
Old 09-27-2004, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the help. I removed all external drives and unplugged and reninstalled all ram. Still no luck. But, after five minutes on the phone with Digi Support it turns out that a simple uninstall reinstall of Protools was all I needed to do. This board is always a great help and I appreciate it.

theaudioczar
Old 10-20-2004, 04:39 PM

I am having the same problem, except that I uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly with no success. There is no error message beforehand, just -wham- (kernel panick?)! So I checked my other programs, and I could load Logic and Peak with no problem, but not Digital Performer or Ableton Live (which came in a bundle with PT LE). So I uninstalled and reinstalled DP and again got a kernel panick; then removed and reloaded Live, and that one worked out. I was backing up my HD to reset to factory, but I haven't seen my Panther disks since I moved and figured I'd ask the board before downgrading.

Before this happened, I made no new additions to my computer, hardware or software, no upgrades. Just one day...

Mac PowerBook G4 12", 384 MB memory, OS 10.3.5.
Mbox, PT LE 6.1

Thanks so much!!!
Montara
Old 10-21-2004, 06:50 AM

Maybe you should upgrade PT to 6.4 rather than down-grading!As far as i know the combo of 6.4 on 10.3.5 isnt/hasnt been officially supported, but neither has 6.1 with 10.3.5!Give it a go & see if it works
Old 10-21-2004, 08:38 AM

I had to reinstall the old core driver.